Alhambra Parador - is it worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 03:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to go to Granada later in the year and briefly considered staying in the Parador. When I did the costing to put my family up though, it works out at 820 euros per night. Basically about 500% over my budget, but I was wondering if it's so magical to stay there (in late December) that it's worth a splurge.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 03:37 AM

Hi guykb,

Well, I guess it depends what is most important to you - the hotel or the money that could be spent on other things.

I didn't stay at the Parador when I was there, also because of cost. I stayed in a very nice hotel in town and I don't regret it. I loved my time in Granada.

But, if the atmosphere is a very important thing to you and your family, it might be worth it to splurge. To me, it's a matter of what is the highest priority you and your family?

Have fun either way!

Karen
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 03:44 AM

While the parador is lovely -- I only had lunch there -- I don't think staying there would be worth such major additional expense in December. A large part of the parador's charm is its location in the Alhambra gardens, which will not look their best at that time of year.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 04:13 AM

There is at least one other hotel (the Guadalupe) which is in the Alhambra "complex" and I think another (but cannot remember the name) you might look into.

You can get info and book the Guadalupe through a variety of agents such as www.spainbookers.com
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 04:28 AM
PJI

Save the bucks and stay at the Hotel Guadalupe (www.hotel-guadalupe.com). Its just steps away from the Alhambra. Plus, you get to enjoy staying up above the busy city next to the Alhambra. Its easy to take a quick minibus trip down or back up for aprox 1Euro, or you can walk - down is easier than up!

We stayed with one bancotel coupon per night. It was very nice, we didn't have to drive through the horribly congested city (theres a loop road around the city) and it was clean a cheap. Works for me!
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 04:31 AM
PJI

Intrepid1 we must have been posting at the same time!

I think the other hotel you are referring to is the Hotel America.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 04:45 AM

Yes, that's the name!!

Actually, we are staying at the Parador for one night this coming July but I cannot imagine how MANY people, and in December, would cost 820 Euros a night!
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 04:52 AM

The Parador must be worth it as you must reserve many months in advance. We tried in January of 2004 for September reservations and couldn't get in. We stayed at the America, which is right next door to the parador and within the Alhambra grounds. It is nice and very moderately priced. We stopped by the parador and it is, indeed, very lovely, but I wouldn't spend E820 per night to stay there.
We appreciated the convenience of being on the Alhambra grounds and would recommend the America for that reason.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 06:05 AM
SRS

We stayed at the Parador about a year ago. Our room was beautiful (in the old section) and we overlooked the generalife gardens. It was fantastic - and I really enjoyed the stay, but I don't think it would worth 820 euros per night! To me, it was a great stay, but it would not be worth that kind of price at all.

At the kind of rate, I would stay at one of the other hotels mentioned here. Or, if you do a search, there are several hotels in downtown Granada that get good reviews - there names escape me now sorry.

Have a great trip!
Sally
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for that advice - kind of confirms my thinking. Yes, we're a large party so would need three rooms. As for December, well, it's the same rate all year round - no discount for winter. In fact if we were there one day later we'd have to pay extra for new years.

Thanks again - we'll look at the America or the Guadalupe.