alhambra palace vs parador-granada

Old May 1st, 2002, 12:00 PM
spanish

alhambra palace vs parador-granada

does anyone know the difference in price between these two? Is it worth the difference in price to stay at the parador (assuming one can get a reservation)? And if we stay at the alhambra palace or the parador, are there specific room locations we should ask for? We are planning well ahead so may have a shot at getting what we ask for. thanks.

Old May 1st, 2002, 01:20 PM
Maribel

spanish lady,
The price for a double at the Parador, regardless of the season is listed on www.parador.es at 202 euros, plus vat. I can't find the Alhambra Palace rates on their web site:
www.h-alhambrapalace.es
I think they vary depending on the time of yr. and are often discounted through web hotel booking sites. For example,
http://asiatravel.com lists the lowest double rate at $87.50 (hard to believe that rate-must be for winter) and another site lists a double for $125. I think we paid almost $130 for our double in June.
I've stayed just once in the Parador, long ago, but I suggest you try to snag a room there for the experience. I never can seem to call far enough in advance to succeed. Can't advise you as to the best rms. I remember there was a specific rm rec. posted here. Might find it with a Granada Parador text search.
If you stay at the A.P., I'd recommend you request a room in the back, with a view of the city. On our last visit, we were given a "turret" rm in the front facing the entrance (the only one available-we hadn't reserved in advanced), and it hadn't been renovated so the decor needed a little refreshening, but it did have a large, shining, beautifully tiled bathroom.
Hope this helps get you started.
Maribel

Old May 2nd, 2002, 06:42 AM
spanish

Thanks Maribel..has anyone stayed at Alhambra Palace lately and can tell me the rate? Thx.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 02:09 PM
janet

My friend stayed there the beginning of April. She paid $150 per night for a double room.

Old May 14th, 2002, 07:20 PM
Tom

We loved the Parador (two nights two years ago). Ate both our dinners there (and we never tend to eat where we stay) as the food was great and the view of the Generalife was amazing.

Old May 16th, 2002, 02:07 PM
barbara

We spent two weeks in Spain in March and stayed at 5 different paradors. They were all terrific. I wish I could have brought a mattress home with me. I would definitely recommend staying at the parador at the Alhambra. It is very special being right on the site. We met someone who had stayed at the hotel who said it was very noisy at night as there is a disco down below.