Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

ALHAMBRA - HOW TO RETURN AT NIGHT TO HOTEL AMERICA OR PARADOR?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2015, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

An elementary Alhambra question: does anyone know how you get back into your hotel at night if you stay at the Hotel America or the Parador? If I am understanding the layout of the Alhambra correctly, both lodgings are inside the walls, which are closed/locked/secured in some way at closing time. Do these places give you a key? A PIN number to unlock the gate? Or is there a sentry? Sort of a basic detail, but I can't seem to find information about this. Many thanks.
Old Feb 21st, 2015, 06:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They are not inside any walls. There is an entrance to the Alhambra grounds adjacent to the area where the parador and America are located (they basically face one another).
You can reach either establishment 24 hours a day on foot, by car/taxi, etc.
Old Feb 21st, 2015, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Great info! Thanks much.
Old Feb 21st, 2015, 11:03 AM

The Parador is NOT inside the walls. It is just outside them (we tried to stay there but it was fully booked 9 months in advance and stayed at the Alhambra Palace which was a very short walk away).

Have never heard of the other hotel so no clue.
Old Feb 21st, 2015, 11:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
nytraveler, the question has already been answered and by somebody who actually knows
Old Feb 21st, 2015, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Dukey1, did you happen to stay in the Hotel America or the Parador? Any feedback on either? I've been reading reviews, not sure it's worth springing for the Parador even if they did have openings (we're going in October).

BTW, I see you're in FLL, just up the road from us in EYW.
Old Feb 21st, 2015, 12:50 PM

I stayed at the Parador and it inside the Alhambra grounds, right adjacent to the palace, and it is beautiful and romantic. I would have gone there for my honeymoon if I wasn't already married. I loved every inch of it, including eating on the terrace of the parador overlooking the gardens and with a great view of Granada. (I was there in late April, in fine weather). I spent my whole time in the area within the Alhambra complex so cannot give you info about coming and going at night. We walked around and took an evening tour of the palace, but didn't go to Granada proper. The Hotel America is right next door to the parador as I recall, and the restaurant of the Parador is open to anybody. The interior of the parador is beautifully decorated and rooms are spacious. Don't know anything about Hotel America.

(Dukey1, I don't think nytraveler acknowledges corrections or admits she doesn't have first hand experience of places. But nice try!)
Old Feb 21st, 2015, 01:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I stayed at the Hotel America and ate at the parador, back in 2004. The America was fine, but of course, it's not the parador. It was convenient for the evening entrance to the Alhambra, which I highly recommend.
Old Feb 21st, 2015, 04:48 PM

So Dukey and Sandra - is the parador inside or outside?

We went into it to see what we missed at the Alhambra Palace and we did not have to enter the Alhambra grounds to get in. So sorry that I was actually there - since Sandra seems to think I have never been anywhere despite more than 100 trips to europe.