Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Alhambra Guided Tour? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/alhambra-guided-tour-370943/)

TAHOE2003 Oct 23rd, 2003 11:24 AM

Alhambra Guided Tour?

Will be in Granada in November - our hotel recommended a guided tour (4 hrs) for 35 Euros per person versus the 9 Euros if we went on our own. Is the guided tour worth the extra money? Thanks.

Steerpike Oct 26th, 2003 03:52 PM

I don't think so, but you do need to somehow reserve in advance, so if you are busy or lazy, the hotel deal is not bad. I took the hotel option, for just that reason - didn't have time to plan. But since you have time, you can reserve your tour in advance. On the day, just hop a cab (assuming you are staying in the city, and not near the Alhambra). It's an easy walk back into the center.

We ended up getting split from our tour guide and had to walk anyway!

If you don't already have accomodation, I'd recommend staying in the city near the Cathedral - it's lively and fun to walk around that area at night. I imagine the area around the Alhambra is quite dead at night!

tonja Oct 29th, 2003 07:01 PM

The Alhambra is dead at night. But Granada is kind of a dump of a city. Extremely dirty and not much fun. I'd say the alhambra was the only good thing about Granada.

amrdia Nov 1st, 2003 09:12 AM

Just returned from 10 days in Spain. Granada was our least favorite part. We are self tour types, for Granada we opted for the tour as tix are supposed to be tough call. We were in Granada on a Fri and there were plenty of Tix. Granada is a dump and the only real enjoyable part was the old town near the cathedral. The Alhambra was most unimpressive and a great dissappointment. I found it ironic that this is an important place for the Spainish, yet the best part was the Moorish architecture of whom they kicked out!!!! If you are from Spain or have Spainish heritage I am sure there is an importance that I can not feel. I would skip the Alhambra and Granada altogether.

laurie_ann Nov 1st, 2003 09:29 AM

I have to disagree with previous posters, we spent 10 days in Spain and Grenada was one of our favorites (Seville and Toledo too touristy, Grenada seemed more like the real Spain) and with a lively nightlife, in part because it is a large university town (we are not students, but forty something, and like the energy of university towns. As for guided tour of Alhambra, I don't think I would for the cost, they have audio guides (the handheld machines that you press a number and the recorded explanation comes on) in English which is more than enough if you also have a guidebook. Relax and enjoy Grenada!

wheredafungawe Nov 1st, 2003 08:29 PM

I will also disagree with the previous posters. I was in Spain in October and I really enjoyed staying overnight in Granada and visiting the Alhambra. I didn't find the city to be a dump at all. The only problem I had was getting a bit lost driving around looking for my hotel. To TAHOE2003 - you can definitely visit the Alhambra without a guide. I booked my ticket in advance (8,88 euro on the internet) and brought my guide book with me.

babette Nov 2nd, 2003 01:56 AM

We loved the Alhambra and can't wait to go back so that we can spend more time there. I would take a guided tour next time so that I understand the story behind all the things we saw. Otherwise, I would at least read up on it first.

KWP Nov 5th, 2003 05:35 AM

We just returned from Spain after an incredible trip. The only change we would have made was to stay in Granada 3 nights instead of 2. We stayed at a deluxe property HOTEL ALHAMBRA PALACE Room #407 had a huge private terrace. We love nature and would have liked more time to walk on the paths outside the Alhambra Palace, especially in the Garden of Martyrs. The surrounding area is gorgeous. We did splurge for a private tour guide. The price for 3 was 156 euros (including 3 tickets). She was recommended by the Spain tourism representative in Los Angeles. The guide is Mari Carmen Fernandez Hidalgo. maria28.supercable.es
She made the experience so worthwhile. Afterwards she took us on the bus downtown and suggested local restaurants, and helped us get our bearings.
The restaurant I wouldn't miss is CASA TORCUATO, Calle Carniceros 4 phone 958-202-039. This was a favorite on our 3 week trip. The place only had Spanish folks eating there...clean but not fancy. 3 ate plenty for 26 euros total with wine. Cab there for 5 euros at the most. The restaurant staff will call a cab for you after you eat.
A hotel we did check out was Hotel America next to the Alhambra Palace. We liked the looks of it....cozy with a friendly staff. It would be a lower price than where we stayed, but you need to book well in advance. It only has 17 rooms. [email protected]

epaulino Nov 5th, 2003 07:43 AM

Attn: KWP:

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Could you please repeat Maria, the Alhamba tour guide. The email you gave us comes back as "too long" and does not go through.

Also, I am curious to find out how much you got the Alhambra Palace for.

Thanks again

Elvira

KWP Nov 5th, 2003 11:42 AM

RE: ALHAMBRA TOUR GUIDE

I didn't email her. We called her to make the reservation, so I may have written the e-mail down wrong.
Try: [email protected]
or: [email protected]
Please let me know if one works.
Her phone # is 610 799-230
The October TRIPLE rate at the ALHAMBRA PALACE HOTEL with the most wonderful breakfast buffet was 243.50 Euros plus 7% tax. Request room #407.
Their e-mail is:
[email protected]
The Spain Tourism representative from Los Angeles told us about a charming 16th century house (hotel) in Granada that she stayed in. We didn't have time to check it out. It is called the Dona Ines. I assume you can find a web site through google.com Good luck.

KWP Nov 5th, 2003 11:55 AM

P.S. The rooms were chilly in The Alhambra. Take a wrap.