Reload this Page >

8 day day road trip Sept-Oct from Long Island to CT,MA,NH

Old Sep 13th, 2015, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
Does anyone have any great ideas for a road trip this Sept - Oct , some towns to go through.
We are planning a trip from Long Island to Connecticut, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire.
We have about 8 days. I would like to make a loop. Thinking about taking the ferry to CT head up to NH (doesn't have to be near coast) then loop around to come back on the west side of NH, MA, CT. We would Love to stop at some Apple orchards and fall festivals, lakes, and to see some starry nights. We have a 14 month old so some light nature walks is important to us. So far I read about the Golden rod taffy machine haha, and Gould Hill heirloom apples.

Thank you
Old Sep 13th, 2015, 07:49 PM

You might consider coming south on Rte. 7 thru VT, MA and CT. Some stops might be Stockbridge, MA and its Norman Rockwell Museum. Kent Ct with its waterfalls, Lake Waramaug, New Preston CT, Washington. Also google apple orchards in Western CT. You'll be passing close to several.
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 03:02 AM

If weather is nice/warm, not too far from Gould Hill orchard is Beech Hill Ice Cream, a former dairy farm, with a huge sand pile and trucks for kids to play with. There are also some farm animals (don't forget using the hand sanitizers before getting an ice cream cone). I think your child is too young to enjoy the corn maze. Also not too far from there is Carter Hill Orchard, one of the two hawk watch sites in NH. They have already started to watch for migration. Carter Hill has a very nice play area for children. The NH Audubon website has more info about hawk watch. Other apple orchards in the area have hay rides. Kind of hard to choose which one!

I would make sure to travel through western MA and up through VT on a Saturday choosing which farmers market to stop at. Brattleboro and Norwich are both close to I91 with wonderful markets including music and food vendors. Also in Norwich is the Montshire Museum for children. 14 mos is kind of young but it's a wonderful place esp in the summer when the kids can do outdoor water play.

Warner NH has a Fall Foliage Festival over Columbus Day weekend. See their website. There is also a nature museum on Kearsarge Mountain Rd but I found our gs too young at age 2 to look at the exhibits but they also have a nature trail.

The super duper nature trail would be the Squam Lakes Science Center in Holderness NH which would be a lot of walking but I think adults would enjoy. Native NH animals are on display in their natural habitat. A school group was there when we were so there was a huge crowd for feeding the river otters. We got there early to stake out a place in front of the window. But better were the docents walking around to tell you more about different things. One had a tiny owl on her arm and talked with our family. We also went to the lecture/demo with a live eastern coyotes which was a little rambunctious. Our gds did not want to sit in front row. Holderness is near Lake Winnipesaukee and just south of White Mountains a short drive from I93.

As far at the eastern side of MA, you could check out the butterfly place in Westford MA I495 loop.

Petals in the Pines, Canterbury NH is a certified nature's classroom which has events on Thursdays until mid-October which might fit your schedule. This is near Concord NH. I visited recently with an adult group to learn more about Monarch butterflies. It's a small place but full of interesting things and a wonderful teacher/mom. It might be something to save until your child is older except you would also learn something alongside your child.
http://www.petalsinthepines.com/nature-explore.html

We're big fans of sand box/pile play and running through sprinklers. If you want something less organized, there are lots of short trails around on conservation property but if you don't know what you are looking at, they might not be as interesting as going to a structured learning place. You might also take a look at NH Audubon's trails in Concord NH. http://www.nhaudubon.org/silk-farm-sanctuary/

Should you choose to overnight in Concord NH, I would suggest the Marriott on Horseshoe Pond because of its location. Lots of people walk in this area. Chances are you would see birds, possibly geese landing for the night. It's next to the highway and too much city light for star gazing.
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 03:18 AM

For what is happening in CT, this site might be helpful:

www.ctvisit.com/
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 04:51 AM

You can also loop over to the NH seacoast. Wagon Hill Farm is open to the public as conservation property. It's on Rt 4 in Durham heading to Portsmouth. You park up near the house and there are walking trails. There is one that goes to the water which you don't know about from the road. There is a nice little picnic area (only one table, I think) and then the trail follows water then back up hill to house. This might be a little long to do the loop with a little one. Just do to the shore and back. Further toward Portsmouth there is Hilton Park which is right on the water. Also good place for picnic. Portsmouth also has a nice farmers market. At this point you are on coast so if weather is warm so play in the sand time might be good in Rye or Hampton.
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 06:26 AM

Addendum to my above post. Once down to New Milford on Rte 7 you can cut over to Rte. 25 down to Bridgeport and take the ferry to Port Jefferson. Hope you have a GPS.
Old Sep 16th, 2015, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. My trip is being created with all your ideas starting OCT 6th.and My google map is so colorful with all your suggestions )
330east For the RT 7 that would be perfect, I think. How long does the drive takes from lets say Norwalk CT to Bennington VT? I was thinking we will actually head North( i know you said south though), on the 6th, so we don't miss the fall colors. Stop in Mass or Northern CT for a couple nights. Then head up to NH for the fall festival.
Because then we want to check out the Warner Fall festival in NH which is Oct 9-11 Thanks dfrostnh that looks so fun for a us, old time type of festival. We also want to check out the Hawk sightings at carter hill you suggested.
Stay a couple nights in NH somewhere then head south.
Which rd should I take coming back(south ) do you guys think? Someone suggested along Colorado river and end in middletown for kid city, Is that worth worth it since I live pretty close to that area anywhere. I guess if we end the north part of our trip near Portsmith Head down to Westward? Want to stay away from Big cities such as Boston.
Look forward from hearing from you.
Old Sep 16th, 2015, 07:21 PM

Re driving from Norwalk. CT to Bennington, VT or vice versa I could only guess. I don't want to mislead you. Go to map quest and they will tell you how long.
Old Sep 16th, 2015, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Ok I will Thank You