Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Algarve 2nd trip Any great places to see?

Jun 25th, 2006, 01:13 AM
Original Poster

Hi, everyone.
This time next week Mucky family will be on a short (sadly 1 week only) trip to Portugals beautiful Algarve, we are staying in a lovely Villa in Carvoeiro.
We will have a car for the week.

With our son in Uni and daughter just finishing exams and they both have P/T jobs it is hard to get a week for us all together, anyway this is it !

So although I have been there once before I was wondering if any of you guys could recommend interesting villages, restaurants, historical sites, or anything you would consider to be interesting and worth seeing that I may have probably missed first time round.
Any information no matter how small is appreciated.
I have searched the net and got some stuff but I would love to have individual, personally recommended places by you guys.
Thanks

Muck
Jun 25th, 2006, 01:27 AM

Hi Muck, I would visit Sagres and Tavira, both very interesting villages , though different from each other. And I would avoid the Albufeira area, as it's pretty busy and touristic.
Carvoeiro is a nice place, with a couple of good restaurants right in the center. The beach there isn't good so I would go to the Alvor area, which is nearby, and has great beaches.
I would also recommend you a sardinen lunch at the Portimao pier ( it's near Carvoeiro). The best sardinen you can have in the whole country!
Have a great time in the Algarve.!

Teresa
Jun 25th, 2006, 01:34 AM

What is a P/T job?
Jun 25th, 2006, 02:17 AM
Original Poster

Sorry Lobo...Part time....

Teresa, we visited Albufeira last time and I didn't like it at all, there were huge tattood football shirt wearing pint swilling drunks there, and that was just the women..lol So yes we will steer clear of that area.
By Sardinen, you mean Sardines? Delicious I will be sure to have some.

Thanks

Muck
Muck
Jun 25th, 2006, 02:30 AM

I meant sardines, yes, sorry. Well, if you like them, be sure to have some at the Portimao pier. The best and freshest you can have!
I forgot to mention Silves a while ago. It has a nice castle and it's a village you could also consider visiting, I don't know if you have been ther already.
Again, have a great time in the Algarve!

Teresa
Jun 25th, 2006, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Hi Teresa,
Thanks, I have been looking up Portamao pier but couldn't really see much about it. Can you recommend a specific restaurant there?

Yes we went to Silves, it was lovely, tghere was a strange bar there, where we paid for our drinks at a till when we went in and took the 'order' ticket to the bar to get the drinks, is this common practice in Portugal do you know? we didn't come across it anywhere else. I was wondering if it was specifically for the busy tourist bars, as this was just by the castle entrance.

Those Sardines are sounding better by the minute..

Muck

Jun 25th, 2006, 09:26 AM

We like Lagos, Silves and Sagres (for the lighthouse). We also like Monchique, esp. if you are tired of the heat and crowds.

Lobos, P/T jobs are part time jobs.

Cheers,
Jan
Jun 25th, 2006, 09:31 AM

Muck, I think you won't be able to find anything on the net about Portmao pier as it's a very simple place where there are lots of stalls ( not real restaurants) with outside tables and they all serve fresh sardines and "carapaus". It's very simple, the people are grilling the fish outside and you can choose whatever you like or appeals to you most. Everything is set outside.There is no particular place , they all are good , just have a look and choose which sardines appeal to you most.

It's located on your left when you come from Carvoeiro to Portimao. I think the traffic has changed these last years so I don't know if you can turn left or if you have to go inside Portimao first and then drive there. Ask at Carvoeiro before you go what's the best way to go to the " cais de Portimao" to have some sardines or you can enter Portimao and ask there where the "cais" is.

I used to go there for lunch , I don't know if they serve dinner so I suggest that you go at lunch time.

If you have more questions be free to ask.

Teresa
Jun 25th, 2006, 01:59 PM

thank you
Jun 26th, 2006, 01:09 AM
Original Poster

Hi,
Thanks for the information so far, I have checked Monchique, which looks great also I understand the sardines for lunch idea, that sounds like it is worth a try.
We went to Lagos and I am sure we will go again.
I just wish we were there for longer, never mind, perhaps Mrs Muck and I will go alone later.
Cheers

Muck
Jul 10th, 2006, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone, just wanted to say we have returned tanned and refreshed after a beautiful, but short trip.
Trip report will come soon just as soon as we can unpack and get back to some normality here.

Thanks for the great tips we used as many as we could.

Bye for Now
Muck
Jul 11th, 2006, 10:02 AM

Hi Muck, nice to see you had a good time. Looking forward to read your report! Did you go to the sardines? .-)

Teresa
Jul 11th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Hi Teresa,
Yes we did it was funny, so when I get time to write I will tell you all about it.

lol
Muck