Reload this Page >

AlfaRomeo for one day to see Tuscany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2000, 08:22 AM
Carlos Monroy

Of my 4 days in Florence in early October, I am leaving one to see the Tuscany in my dream car an Alfa Romeo. Chianti region, Lucca or Siena? Which Autostradas are the best? I appreciate your comments for it is my first time in Italy.

Old Sep 7th, 2000, 08:51 AM
Robin

Carlos-- my husband and I have always wanted to tour Italy in a Spyder or similar convertible-- have you already found your rental agency?

Old Sep 7th, 2000, 03:22 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Carlos, You do not want the Autostrada <BR>for your driving day. Take S222 south <BR>all the way to Siena-stop in Castellini enroue--and then take S-2[ Via Cassia] <BR>to Monteriggioni, and then S-68 thru <BR>Colle and eventually up to San Gim. <BR>When you are ready to head home you can catch the Superstrada from Poggibonsi <BR>back up to Florence. This will be a great driving day and will give you a <BR>real look at the heart of Toscana. <BR>

Old Sep 7th, 2000, 07:06 PM
Paul

We rented an Alfa for a week in Tuscany last year. It was wonderful. Bob the Navigator has given you some good advice on roads to travel. My only comments are that the Alfa Romero is a big car for the Italian roads. These roads seem to curve every few seconds and it took us awhile to get used to. Be prepared for the fast driving of the Italians in tiny little cars that seem to come at you from nowhere and pass you like you are standing still. It was great fun and you will love the countryside.

Old Sep 10th, 2000, 10:18 AM
Carlos

Robin, I used Auto Europe following this forum's recommendations, they answered me within 24 hours. <BR>Bob and Paul, gracias for your suggestions. I'll follow your directions. Living in Mexico I am used to fast driving in not so good roads. I think the italians drivers will make me feel at home!!!

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 04:04 AM
SPINELLI

Carlos, <BR> <BR>We just returned from Tuscany. We spent 6 days driving around the area. <BR> <BR>S222 is a winding, corkscrew road. Distances can take much longer than the map indicates. The towns of Castellina and Radda are interesting.Scenery in general attractive. <BR> <BR>Bob the Navigator always provides good advice so let me just suggest an alternative keeping in mind you have one day. Take the Florence-Siena autostrade and exit to reach Volterra, somewhere before Siena. It is a village high on a hill, 35 minutes from the autostrade.. It specializes in alabaster. Dine in Il Porcellina, very nice. <BR> <BR>Go back to autostrade and visit Siena. Parking is very difficult in this town particularly on Wednesday, market day.You can then re-enter autostrade north for Florence which will take about 35 minutes. <BR> <BR>Italian drivers, at least in Tuscany, were not bad. As you will not be dawdling in an Alpha Romeo you should not have a problem. <BR> <BR>Have a good trip.