Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Alcoholic Beverages on United Airlines (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/alcoholic-beverages-on-united-airlines-478374/)

billruth Oct 4th, 2004 12:31 PM

Alcoholic Beverages on United Airlines

Just curious if United Airlines has complimentary alcoholic beverages on international flights.

FainaAgain Oct 4th, 2004 12:49 PM

Only for unruly children.

billruth Oct 4th, 2004 12:55 PM

I noticed that there was an "Airline" forum so I checked there for any postings relating to alcoholic beverages on United. The first posting I found dated September 2004 said that United and Northwest still have free alcoholic drinks in couch. I found an earlier dated posting that indicated they do not. So, I am totally confused now.

Barbara Oct 4th, 2004 01:05 PM

United still had free alcoholic drinks in coach at the beginning of 2004. I don't know about couch, though. Is that a new class? It would really go well with the drinks, I think.

billruth Oct 4th, 2004 01:14 PM

Well, I figured I would be slammed for not indicating in my original message that I was talking about "coach" class, so when I updated this posting I decided I would be specific about what class I would be flying which of course I made a spelling mistake, or maybe not, I would sure like a couch on long flights. Thanks for any updates. I realize United has had financial problems and may have discontinued free alcoholic beverages in "coach" class but thought that if many people on this forum would have flown United lately and could answer my question. Thanks again for your responses.

Grasshopper Oct 4th, 2004 01:20 PM

Yes, United still has free alcohol in coach on international flights. (As of July 2004)

regalada Oct 4th, 2004 01:44 PM

Still did as of September 26th.

Huitres Oct 4th, 2004 02:02 PM

No, never complimentary alcohol on UA flights in Coach and Economy Plus seating. The charge is $5 per drink. However, free champagne and wine in Business or First Class.

Huitres Oct 4th, 2004 02:09 PM

Correction: Lufthansa/United code share flights tend to offer white or red wine with meals as a beverage choice (in Coach). Although all other beverages cost $5 (as of 2 weeks ago - USA to Italy RT).

ThinGorjus Oct 4th, 2004 03:46 PM

Sorry, darling, but United most certainly does offer free alcoholic beverages in "Coach" on international flights (I have about 75,000 FF miles with United). Just flew Lufthansa in July, free booze in "Coach."

If only they offered free Valium and Demerol.

itswoody Oct 4th, 2004 04:43 PM

Flew last week on United to Brussels with a return from Amsterdam. Complimentary wine, etc. on both flights.

lyb Oct 4th, 2004 06:11 PM

I flew United just a few weeks ago from SFO to London and they were offering complimentary wine with the meal. So the answer is yes.

harryhibbs Mar 7th, 2005 03:56 PM

...3/7/05 and now the answer is definitely NOT. Not exactly sure when things changed, but I was suprised to discover this on a recent trip to the UK. They certainly didn't warn their mileage plus members! Free alcohol in coach is now only available on pacific routes (where I'm sure it does not get consumed in anywhere near the copious amounts that it does on European routes ;-)). $5 per drink on other international routes.

I have mixed feelings on this...I want United to survive as an airline so I can see why they'd want to save on alcohol (heck, at $5 per little bottle, they'll make a healthy profit on the wine into the bargain!) but I do think they are in danger of losing some casual custom once word gets around...and I'm personally not too thrilled at losing this perk.

Hibbs

Neil_Oz Mar 7th, 2005 04:20 PM

I may be missing something, but ... why not ask United Airlines?

henneth Mar 7th, 2005 04:25 PM

I flew United on January 20th, Heathrow to Chicago, alcoholic drinks were five dollars each. No free drinks in Coach/Economy.I enquired when this had changed and they said as from January 6th 2005.

Grasshopper Mar 7th, 2005 04:27 PM

I can confirm this. Drinks are $5.00 or 4.00 euro or 3 GBP.

I noticed a LOT less alcohol was served.