Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Alcohol Drink's to Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/alcohol-drinks-to-europe-150601/)

Ann P. Jan 8th, 2003 10:03 AM

Alcohol Drink's to Europe

Last week someone made a statement that the airlines stopped serving free drinks on oversea's flights. We just got back from Germany in October and the drinks were still free. Can anyone comment on this?

Mike Jan 8th, 2003 10:05 AM

I guess it depends upon the airline you are flying with. I believe all the U.S. carriers have stopped serving on trans-Atlantic flights. I'm going Lufthansa next month. Anybody know their policy?

Gretchen Jan 8th, 2003 10:17 AM

May/does depend on the airline. European carriers are still serving free drinks. All the American carriers have discontinued free in coach. I think Continental may have been the last one and they did not serve free in coach in October.

Boozer Jan 8th, 2003 10:17 AM

Just returned from Europe on Northwest and the drinks were still free. I think only one airline so far has stopped serving free drinks but don't recall which one.

Doodles Jan 8th, 2003 11:23 AM

This past Sunday I flew CO back from London - no free booze.

Steve Jan 8th, 2003 11:33 AM

Flew back from London last Thursday on United. Drinks were still free.

M Jan 8th, 2003 01:08 PM

Still free (and plentiful) on Swiss!

Anne Jan 8th, 2003 01:47 PM

flew to CDG on Delta Oct 11...free drinks. Flew back Oct 21....had to pay (coach both ways).

Tom Jan 9th, 2003 07:32 AM

Do the airlines give you grief if you pull a half pint out of your carry on and make your own mixed drink?<BR><BR>Tom

jane Jan 9th, 2003 08:21 AM

About carrying your own flask... I always thought that was illegal. But whose law? I guess the airline can have policies against it that they can enforce. You can't smoke in the bathroom, but maybe you can mix a drink?

jane Jan 10th, 2003 07:37 PM

Me again. still looking for an answer to: <BR>Message: About carrying your own flask... I always thought that was illegal. But whose law? I guess the airline can have policies against it that they can enforce. You can't smoke in the bathroom, but maybe you can mix a drink? <BR><BR>

x Jan 10th, 2003 07:48 PM

Jane,<BR>I would think that if one was discreet with a flask or mini bottles then the airline wouldn't know or care. I wouldn't bring something crazy like grain alcohol, Bacardi 151, malt liquor (like a 40) or Boones Strawberry Hill wine, just something similar that the airline would serve. As long as the &quot;drinker&quot; did not get visably drunk or obnoxious it should be ok. I say go for it!

garybear Jan 10th, 2003 09:01 PM

Just returned on United transatlantic flight. The wine and after dinner drinks were free. I didn't order any cocktails so I don;t know about those.

Al Godon Jan 11th, 2003 09:40 AM

You mean you alcoholics can't fly without getting half drunk? Sounds like it.<BR>

jane Jan 11th, 2003 10:22 AM

x person: That is still part of the answer. I want to know if it is illegal to drink your own booze on the plane. If so, who made the law? Or is it just that the airlines don't want you to. My pastrami sandwich would surely offend an aisle mate more than a bit of chardonnay in my water glass.

xxx Jan 12th, 2003 09:09 AM

There is no such thing as free drinks.You pay for it in your ticket.Works out at over $50 for your &quot;free&quot; drink.This suits business passengers but is very bad for tourist fares.

Wendy Jan 12th, 2003 11:31 AM

I flew AA from Germany to the states last week and the 'wine' was 4.00... I remembered a few years ago when we flew Sabena/Air France from South Africa when we brought our own wine and cheese etc... and had the greatest time sharing a picnic with everyone around us...those were the days.

jane Jan 12th, 2003 12:11 PM

I still want to know what the rules and whose rules are about bringing &amp; drinking your own. Does anyone have a knowledgeable answer?

why Jan 12th, 2003 12:11 PM

Free on BA , the other day

john Jan 12th, 2003 12:55 PM

<BR>Northwest from Amsterdam to Detroit served beer and wine gratis on my flight yesterday. I didn't ask for any distilled spirits. KLM three weeks ago was also serving complimentary beverages, including jonge.