Chip in credit card

Search

Chip in credit card

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2012, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chip in credit card

Realizing that most automated credit card machines at gas stations and train stations will not accept cards without a chip, does anyone know if ATM machines in Belgium and the netherlands will still accept the magnetic strip on US cards
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 05:46 PM

We haven't had any ATM transactions rejected due to the existence of a chip, but we typically have a backup credit card with one just in case.

Hint: Make sure that you let your bank know your dates and locations of travel prior to departure so that they do not place a security hold on your card.

Most banks will re-issue your card with a chip if you ask.
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 05:57 PM

<i>Most banks will re-issue your card with a chip if you ask.</i> ??

Really? I cannot find one US bank that is presently issuing chip enabled cards to individuals. I have checked with US Bank, Capital One, Bank of A, Wells Fargo and none have them. What bank do you know that has these cards?
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 06:19 PM
J62

Buying that tickets at train stations is a pain, but I've had no problems at ATMs.
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 08:15 PM

I work for the airlines and fly internationally everyweek. I just got a Visa card from CHASE bank with a chip and it has worked out great! My own airline credit union doesn't offer a chip in a card?
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 08:20 PM

Have used ATMs all over Europe using our card with no chip. Have had problems only at automated gas stations, toll booths, ticket machines, etc. Never been refused at a restaurant or large retail store in a major city. Smaller shops in smaller villages might require cash or a chip and pin card. American Express isn't widely accepted except in upscale shops/restaurants/hotels.
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 08:40 PM

I've never had any issues with ATMs. The chip thing is a wildly overblown "issue" IMO.
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 05:19 AM

dutyfree - which specific card is it; is it a debit or credit card? Thanks.
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 05:42 AM

There have been reports that in some countries, plans are a foot to restrict even the use of ATM's to chip cards; whether any such pans are operational is another story. I'm not sure it has occurred anywhere.....yet. But pressure is mounting.

Several of the Chase cards can be requested with a chip; almost always the cards with high annual fees and the dreaded 3% rip off foreign currency surcharge (some exceptions). The same holds true for some Citibank cdredit cards. Most of the AA credit caqrds do have chips available but again for the most part unless there is an asininely high annual fee (as much as $450), they all come with the near criminal foreign transaction surcharges.

All these cards are chip and signature. I had my AA mc re-issued as a chip and signature card and can report it did work in the UK...but the caveat here is that all the places I tried it took the antiquated American magnetic strip card anyway. On one of the blogs, a suggestion was made for a credut union called Andrews Federal Credit Union which apparently is issuing a non fee chip and pin card but has a 1% foreign transaction fee.

Is this business about chip credit cards overblown? Perhaps it is today, but if you need petrol on a Sunday in France, you might not think so. We've had this debate before here. Whether the emv chip used by many of the European countries is the best is hardly the question anymore. Travelgourmet has made the point the Danish cards don't work in the rest of Europe, for example, yet from what I've read all the Danish cards will be replaced during 2012 by emv cards compatible with most of the rest of Europe.

The Netherlands has become a royal pain in the you know what. You cannot buy train tickets without a chip card either at the automatic machines or at the ticket windows (big signs say so)...whether the cards being issued by Chase, Ctibank, US Bank which are chip and signature, not chip and pin, I can't tell you.

Visa/MC have finallyu woken up to the growing problem instead of burying their heads in the sand with inane comments such as well merchants are required to accept all visa/mc cards, even with the magnetic strips. Tell that to the Dutch National railways and get laughed at.

So....more and more problems are arising. I hope we don't wake up one day and find out the eu has banned the use of all magnetic strip cards...but it's coming.
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 05:50 AM

No such plans are operational at this time. The chip and pin system has nothing whatsoever to do with ATM withdrawals. It's a security system for other kinds of transactions.

If you really desperately want a chip and pin card, Travelex sells one. You load money onto the card, and there is no fee to use it in machines or to withdraw funds, but the exchange rate is particularly bad (you end up losing about 18% on the transaction). But it is convenient if you plan on doing any driving or need to use automated ticketing machines often.
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 05:57 AM

...the key word in the above beng at this time. But there are plans afoot to do this whether it is in the near uture or 5 years down the line.
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 06:03 AM

My Canadian VISA and three ATM cards from three dirrent banks all have Chip's now. More and more store/restauratns are accepting chips.

My one 'wonderment' story was being at a small beach resort in Zanzibar Africa and could not pay with VISA because their machine only took Chip'ed cards, and I had forgetten my code
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 06:23 AM

Yes, the code is preset and cannot be changed, so you do need to memorize it.

Since posting above, I have found that there is a credit union that has a true chip and pin card and you can apply online. It has no annual fee either! As I just filled out an application online, I have no idea how arduous this task will be; will post back.
-----
http://www.andrewsfcu.org/globetrek
http://www.andrewsfcu.org/page.php?page=554
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 06:44 AM

None of my chip and pin (all 7 of them) have set codes that I cannot change. You can change them in the UK at any associated bank machine.
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 06:57 AM

I was referring to the above card; sorry for the confusion.
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 08:20 AM

<i>The Netherlands has become a royal pain in the you know what. You cannot buy train tickets without a chip card either at the automatic machines or at the ticket windows (big signs say so)</i>

I'm about 99% sure that you cannot buy a ticket from the machines in the Netherlands with ANY credit card. They only accept a local Dutch debit card standard. This is also the case for all ticket windows, except at Amsterdam Centraal and Schiphol.

<i>There have been reports that in some countries, plans are a foot to restrict even the use of ATM's to chip cards;</i>

Which countries, exactly? Links to such discussions would also be nice.

No offense, but I think you are overly dramatic about this.
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 04:58 PM

Follow up: I was approved in about 15 minutes. I have to open a savings account for $5 and had to join a credit union association first [which was free]. Then I do a few things via email and the card should be sent. So far, so good.
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 05:05 PM

Its an ATM with no foreign fees DebitNM.
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 06:57 PM

OK, that's what I thought. I had no trouble using my regular ATM card from Cap One in Europe.
Old Mar 4th, 2012, 01:21 PM
blh

Deb - the webiste says it's a Visa credit card. I am excited to hear that it is a chip and pin card. Will you please report back after getting the account open? This will be a great help all over Europe when trying to pay for anything with a credit card. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -