Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Albergo del Senato - noisy? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/albergo-del-senato-noisy-842252/)

xixi May 28th, 2010 09:22 AM

Albergo del Senato - noisy?

read rave reviews on this hotel so very tempted to stay there for my first time rome trip despite its pretty high rates. just wonder if it gets all the noises from the square as I'm a light sleeper. Any insight is much appreciated!

greg May 28th, 2010 11:08 AM

I asked for a room not facing the Piazza and got a quiet room. You need to choose the view or less noise.

LouisaH May 28th, 2010 11:13 AM

I am an extremely light sleeper but wanted and got a room facing the Piazza. The hotel must have great windows because I was not bothered by noise at all.

xixi May 28th, 2010 11:28 AM

many thanks for all kind inputs!

AlessandraZoe May 28th, 2010 11:31 AM

We purposely made it noisy (even though I'm a noise phobic).

Explantion: It was our last night in Italy. I knew from previous experience we wanted to be by the Pantheon, so I booked the del Senato. Even though it was a cool night, I left every terrace door and window open so I wouldn't miss one sound from below--I was trying to get a week's worth of Rome in one night!

However, I'm convinced that had we shut everything, I wouldn't have heard anything. I did not hear any noise from adjacent rooms.

Marija May 28th, 2010 12:24 PM

You're several floors above street level and there are no cars. We always slept with the doors to the terrace open and didn't have any problem with noise.

Weadles May 28th, 2010 12:25 PM

We had rooms facing the Pantheon, and no noise issues. I think the windows are double glazed. Enjoy the hotel, and try to have a drink on the roof. Gorgeous views from there!

xixi May 28th, 2010 01:01 PM

thanks to all responders! a wonderful weekend to everyone!

NYCFoodSnob May 28th, 2010 01:39 PM

For me, there's nothing worse than closing the windows in a small room to make you feel SUPER claustrophobic. And most of the "view" doubles at the Senato are small. They've gotten way overpriced. Even in winter, I like my hotel window slightly open because I love fresh air. I would never go to Rome in July or August.

The view rooms are NOT quiet if you sleep with your window open. Noise in that piazza bounces off all the stone facades, and there's plenty of echo. Young lovers like to hang there late and people walk through the piazza all night long. Yes, it could be worse. The Trevi fountain is nosier at night.

To really enjoy the Senato, the Penthouse Suites with private terrace are the only choice.

bab706 May 28th, 2010 01:48 PM

Ask for a room on a higher floor. We spent four nights there last month and we were in a room facing the Pantheon, but we were on a higher floor (5th) and noise was not a problem. If the airconditioning is running - you should have no problem at all.

Weadles May 28th, 2010 06:07 PM

Yes, ask for a room on a higher floor. We were on the 6th floor in a senior suite, and had no noise issues at all.

greg May 29th, 2010 12:22 AM

The Pantheon was half covered by scaffolding a month ago.