Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Albergo Corona in Venice (or, how much do you trust Rick's picks?)

Dec 15th, 2000, 08:25 AM
Beth Anderson

Hi all,

I asked this question once before, but it was in a post with a bunch of my other questions so it got overlooked. I'll give it its own post - more focus.

I've booked this (they didn't ask for a card to hold it) and Rick Steve's calls it 'basic & clean". That's it - and even his OTHER picks he has more to say - & I am sure they are also budget quarters - so I wonder if he just threw this in as a possible option for hostlers/backpackers (who are about 10-15 years younger than me)

my book is 1999, the 2000 one says the same thing...

granted, basic & clean is important (and it is 75K lire per night) but I am a teensy bit worried about what I might be getting into, since it has not been updated in at least 2 years... hmmm.

I booked 3 nights, I am at an impasse on other places I have emailed; but, venere.it seems to have a few on I can choose from - granted, twice the price, but still cheap - I don't know if I should go with one of them (which may just be nicer, if at least price is an indication) or if I should just go with the one I've got & marvel at how cheap it is.

Has anyone stayed there? Is anyone familiar enough with Rick's "code" to know that the term 'clean' is more subjective than objective? or what does 'basic' mean in Rickspeak.

thanks!

Beth

Dec 15th, 2000, 10:40 AM
Marilyn Ham

We've stayed in many that he recommended and found most, but not all very good. I think if you use veneer.it you pay a small additional price that is included. Why not look for a place that has its own email and email them directly? Marilyn

Dec 15th, 2000, 10:48 AM
Beth Anderson

Hey, thanks.

I actually have emailed and called many. I imagine this one is OK - it's just that with all his others, he gives it a little more glowing recommendation than just 'basic & clean'... if it's truly clean & safe... it is near Piazza San Marco. but the blurb is two years old now, & since they are the ONLY ones available (I've called/emailed MANY) I wonder if there is a reason for that, ya know?

thanks again

Beth

Dec 15th, 2000, 06:10 PM
Phil

Have a look at this Hotel: WWW.hotelcolombina.com
YOU GOTTA GO THERE and stay in room 406!!!
or try others like
www.hotelarlecchino.com
www.hotel-olimpia.com

Dec 15th, 2000, 06:57 PM
Marty

Hi, Beth! I have seen the Corona. It is pretty close to San Marco--maybe 5 minutes. We passed it on our walk from San Marco to the Al Piave which was recommended by Cheap Sleeps. It was one of landmarks for finding the hotel each time we returned. It was not possible to tell what it was like from the street. Once I saw two backpackers standing outside ringing and ringing the bell. Another very young person opened the door for them. The door opened onto some plain stairs. It did look like a very young crowd. I wish I could tell you more.

Dec 16th, 2000, 10:20 AM
richard j vicek

Good afternoon. Beth
We have stayed at the Do Pozzi and the
Ala which are three star and at the
Saturnia which is a four star hotel,
all of these are just west of the Pza.
S. Marco. Also can suggest the Kette.
and the Accademia, which is over the
bridge about ten mins walk from the Pza.
S. Marco. Very good listing of Venice
hotels can be found on www.veniceinfo.it/
Can not comment on Rick Steves choices!!
Richard of La Grange Park, Il..
If you want a list of ristorantes which
we have used over the years, drop me a
e mail and will send you a copy. rjv