Alamo Rental in Aix-en-Provence

Apr 30th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Alamo Rental in Aix-en-Provence

Sorry to keep posting with questions, but just want to be as sure as we can that everything flows smoothly.

We booked a car from Alamo in Aix-en-Provence. Has anyone here rented from them? Are they reliable? We reserved a compact convertible with a/c, and it's imperative we have automatic transmission. Can we pretty much count on the car class we reserved?

How reliable are the TGV trains? We've allowed for 2 hours from the time our train arrives in Aix until the Alamo car rental office closes. Is that enough leeway? Should we try to call this office directly to make sure? We booked this online, and an Alamo supervisor here in NY assured us on the phone that everything would be fine, but you just never know. I'm trying not to overthink this; just don't want to be stranded.

Merci beaucoup encore!

Annie
Apr 30th, 2007, 08:15 PM

We used Alamo in France for an automatic and had no problem. Dh had broken his foot just before so we HAD to have an auto and they came through.

Try this code on-line and you might get a free additional driver. Good luck and have fun!

ID# 430710
or
ID# 428448
Apr 30th, 2007, 09:34 PM

Alamo doesn't have any agencies in France. You will actually be picking up your car from National.

You can set your watch by most TGV trains.
May 1st, 2007, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Glad the TGV trains are so reliable.

In terms of the Alamo codes, thank you, I will check that out.

I read on this forum that the National car rental office is hard to locate in Avignon, so I will check that out again. Thanks for the head's up up Alamo/National!
May 1st, 2007, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

KellieBellie, what kind of car did you rent? We have a Citroen C-3 Pluriel Compact Convertible reserved, and they said it was an automatic, although we've since seen online that it's sort of a semi-automatic. So we're not sure if we should change the car.
May 1st, 2007, 10:55 AM

HiHo
We picked up a car at the Avignon TGV and it would have been close to impossible to miss the car rental offices.
May 1st, 2007, 12:40 PM

At Avignon TGV, there are two sets of buildings in the car park housing the rental agencies. The agencies are absolutely unmissable, so I certainly cannot imagine who might have said that the National agency was hard to locate.
May 1st, 2007, 12:45 PM

Oops, we seem to have forgotten that the question is about Aix-en-Provence TGV. Personally, I have never exited a train there.
May 2nd, 2007, 05:03 AM

Oh gosh, it might have been a Citroen. It ws something French. I've never heard of a semi-automatic. Do you have any additional info on that?

Our Mercedes A class had both auto and manual. Maybe that is what they mean? If that is the case then you are fine. We slipped into manual accidently once, but we just stopped, put it in park and back into drive and were all set.
May 2nd, 2007, 06:04 AM

I did find this about the C3:

"All models come with the option of a five speed manual transmission, except for the Stop & Start, which can only be supplied with Citroën's SensoDrive gearbox - a five speed semi-automatic transmission, which has two shifting options of either the fully automated mode, or the paddle-shifted/gear-shifted manual mode. The SX model is the only version that has the option of a four speed fully-automatic transmission."

So if the semi-automatic has a fully automated mode, then that sounds like what we had on our A class which was just fine. It worked just like a regular automatic. Just make sure you don't wiggle the gear shift while driving.
May 2nd, 2007, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Kelliebellie,

They've been calling the Citroen C3 Pluriel an automatic; it's just us that refer to it as a semi-automatic. It has these "blades" or "paddles" on the steering wheel so you can either shift without a clutch in manual mode, or just use the automatic. As I understand it, there's something else we have to shift to when in reverse, but I'm not sure about that. Still trying to find a manual, either downloadable or physical. Just want to be prepared. It's good to know that your Mercedes A class sounds similar. Strange, that we had totally automatic cars in the past when we rented in Spain and Italy. Wonder why they don't have them in France?
Jun 23rd, 2007, 05:30 AM

Hiho322,

Just wanted to see if you were happy with Alamo/National in Aix. Would you recommend them?

Malia
Jul 15th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Dear Malia,

Can't post yet because we don't leave until the 23rd. We actually decided to go through Auto Europe who booked us the same exact car through National/Alamo at a MUCH better price. I'll post here after we get back and let y'all know how it went.