Aix or Avignon? Best place to base in Tuscany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2010, 09:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are coming from Italy to Nice, and had planned to base ourselves for 2 Nights in Aix at Hotel Particulaur 28, then train back to London. Is it worth losing a couple of days in UK and going on to Avignon, then train back to UK? Or which is better to base ourselves to drive around, Aix or Avignon or both? If Avignon any hotels recommended? Like pretty top end but not bland multi chains!

Thanks
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 09:39 PM

I think you mean Provence not Tuscany...
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 03:14 AM

If you only have two days do not bother with a car; it will take you two days to find parking in Avignon!!

Use public transport as local and regional trains around this area are quite accesible. I have been to both cities and Aix en Provence is absolutely gorgeous with GREAT shopping (if that means anything to you or co-travelers!). Avignon has fascinating history and architecture. I would not miss any of the two and this is why: 1) you ARE already there, and 2) it is more likely and easier to get back to London sometime in the future.
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 03:32 AM

www.latorse.com/english/index.htm

La Torse Aix would be my choice

Avignon crowded walled city pretty not great for me

Arles is also special for more budget

and quintesential provence www.lecalendal.com is great there

Happy Hunting,
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 04:31 AM

Aix is more of a nightmare for parking than Avignon. It is also not nearly as interesting, in my opinion, and I would choose several other places rather than Aix.
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 09:02 AM

I don't agree with that at all, I've stayed in both and had cars, and don't see why the parking is any worse in Aix than Avignon. There are big public garages, just like in Avignon, where you have to park. That's just going to be the way in any city of any size. You just have to do a little research as to where they are (there is a big public lot in Aix near the gare routiere).

I find both Aix and Avignon interesting. Aix has sections that are more beautiful. The area of your hotel is one of the nicest areas (the Mazarin area). I stayed near there once, also. I think there are a couple public garages not too far from there, like on bd du Roy Rene. Avignon has more historical interest with the Palais des Papes, as well as a good position on the river.
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 09:08 AM

The Hotel Europe is a great place to stay in Avignon.
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 11:25 AM

I'll second the LaTorse suggestion in Aix. It's a lovely B&B and has plenty of free parking.
Old Dec 24th, 2010, 11:49 AM

hybergr

he problem with LaTorse is they require a 2 wk notification for cancellation otherwise you will lose one night fee.
Old Dec 25th, 2010, 06:29 PM

Just a geographical point, Aix and Avignon are actually in 'Provence' not Tuscany.

In my view, Avignon is the better city to use as a base. As you're only spending two nights in the area you most certainly will not need a car and, as others have said, parking will be a nightmare.

Find an hotel within the walled city of Avignon for the ambience,restaurants and sights. The Hotel Briston is a reasonable centrally located 3* hotel. There is plenty to see in Avignon and, if you have the time, take a bus trip across the river to Villeneve-lez-Avignon. The Avignon Tourist Bureau will have plenty of information on sights and tours.
Old Dec 25th, 2010, 10:53 PM
DAX

Avignon is a better base for touring the southern Rhone valley, Pont du Gard and the Luberon hilltop villages while Aix is better for accessing Cassis and the mediteranean coast as well as southern Luberon villages.. Both old towns are equally attractive but Avignon has the empty Palais des Papes and city wall. Parking is equally easy due to modern parking structures. I would recommend Avignon because it'll give you easy access to more places for sightseeing.
Old Dec 27th, 2010, 01:46 PM

I agree with Lynn_Gibson. We stayed at Hotel d'Europe this past June and thought it was great; they also offer valet parking, it was very easy to get there, just inside the gates.