Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How easy is it to buy same-day train tickets in Croatia?

Old Aug 25th, 2014, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There isn't an option to purchase train tickets online in advance from Zagreb to Lake Bled. However, I'm able to look up the train times scheduled on that day via DB Bahn.

Has anyone purchased same-day train tickets in Croatia that can give me a few pointers? Anything to take into consideration? The day we intend to depart for Lake Bled, we'll be driving from Split (spending a couple hours at Plitvice) and then returning our rental car that afternoon near the Zagreb train station.

There's an overnight train to Lake Bled that leaves late and I'd like to purchase tickets for that train. Should I print a copy of it to bring to the ticket kiosk in Zagreb? Thanks!
Old Aug 25th, 2014, 06:53 AM

I don't see a night train from Zagreb to Bled (Lesce or Jezero). Which train are you looking at?

You could take the 18:37, arriving at 21:50 which wouldn't be that late. Arrange for a taxi through your hotel in case there isn't one at the station.

You could buy a ticket when you get to Split but I don't see a problem buying on the same day.

I always write down all the information and hand it to the ticket clerk to avoid misunderstanding.
Old Aug 25th, 2014, 04:25 PM
kja

I second adrienne's advice to write all the information down so you have it to hand it to the clerk.

I would think that the ease of getting same-day tickets might vary with the season. I would not aim for the LAST train of the day, unless you are willing to end up without a ticket. ;-)

BTW, a few hours is not much for the Plitvice Lakes. Part of what makes them so spectacular is that the lakes all differ from one another, and the only way to see that is to make a circuit that takes you a fair distance into the park. A 6 or 7 hour visit is not unreasonable....

And be prepared for crazy signage, working trolley tracks, and one-way multi-lane roads near the train station in Zagreb. NOT my favorite international driving experience!
Old Aug 25th, 2014, 06:52 PM

I was in Zagreb in late September last year. Definitely print out or write down all the info to have at the ticket counter. The clerk who helped me did not speak much English.

I bought my ticket to Slovenia the same day I traveled. There was plenty of room on the train as it left Zagreb. So you might be perfectly safe buying your ticket the same day.

But, as others have said, availability can vary depending on the day of the week, the time of year, and the route you want to travel. It's also possible that even if seats are available at your origin, they might all be booked for a segment farther down the line.

I took a train from Zagreb to Osijek on a Sunday in November a few years ago and although I had a seat when we left Zagreb, it was standing room only for those who boarded at later stations because it was the end of a school (university?) holiday. I might have bought my ticket the same day then as well, but I don't remember.
Old Aug 26th, 2014, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

I'm looking at tickets on a Wednesday! So far, I've been able to find two options:

EuroNight 414 departing Zagreb Gavni Kolod at 1837 (6:37 PM) and arriving in Lesce Bled before 10:00 PM OR EuroNight 498 departing Zagreb Gavni Kolod at 2120 (9:20 PM) and arriving in Lesce Bled after midnight

We're planning to leave Split very early that morning to get to Plitvice before noon for some exploring (i.e., I read somewhere that some of the trails only take a few hours). Once we return the rental car in Zagreb, we'll head to the train station and plan to aim for the earlier train with the last train as our back up option.

I'll definitely print out everything in advance to give to the ticket clerk!
Old Aug 26th, 2014, 08:28 AM
kja

> " get to Plitvice before noon for some exploring (i.e., I read somewhere that some of the trails only take a few hours).

That is true. But as I said above, there are some very good reasons to plan on a longer visit if you can.
Old Aug 26th, 2014, 08:59 AM

<< EuroNight 414 departing Zagreb Gavni Kolod at 1837 (6:37 PM) and arriving in Lesce Bled before 10:00 PM OR EuroNight 498 departing Zagreb Gavni Kolod at 2120 (9:20 PM) and arriving in Lesce Bled after midnight >>

Those are the 2 options I also saw. They are not night trains. Night trains are the trains you sleep on. They leave late and arrive the next morning or early afternoon. Used for long distance travel.

In your original post you wrote: "There's an overnight train to Lake Bled"