Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Aix-en-Provence little beautiful towns nearby?

Mar 14th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Hello,

We are thinking to spend our holidays in Aix-en-Provence.
Does anyone know little charming and
beautiful villages/towns nearby Aix-en-Provence? Are they reachable with train/bus?
Which excursions would you recommend starting from Aix-en-Povence?

Thnaks very much!
Mar 14th, 2006, 12:24 PM

Many people are not fans of Aix and prefer the smaller more classical towns in Provence. St Remy is one that many people prefer. I chose it because of the advice of posters on this board. There are other option in the Luberon as well like Gordes and others.

If you search on "Provence" you will get many threads on this subject and lots of good advice.

There is a Fodorite named Stu Dudley who posts wonderfully helpful and detailed information about Provence. Look for his messages in the threads that you find in your search. I think most people would say not to stay in Aix.

It also makes it difficult without a care but I think those threads will cover that info as well.
Mar 14th, 2006, 12:29 PM

A small car is needed to visit the little villages. You can drive to the Var, the Alpilles and see all the beautiful villages of the Vaucluse.
It depends how far you want to drive.
We don't mind long drives to visit a new place. Look at a map and I suggest looking at the book, "The Most beaitiful Villages of Provence," and make notes which appeal to you. Some like one more than the other as some prefer to stay in Avignon rather than Aix. It's an individual choice.
Mar 14th, 2006, 12:41 PM

There are not too many small/cute villages close to Aix, but if you are willing to drive 45 mins to an hour in almost any direction, there are dozens of them to explore. You will need a car, however. If you have one, let us know & we can make suggestions.

I love Aix, but as others have suggested, it is not that centrally located to see the best Provence has to offer.

Stu Dudley
Mar 14th, 2006, 01:12 PM

I like Aix very much. I think it has some beautiful architecture, and is lively. It can get crowded around the center where a lot of tourists are, though.

Aix is just a larger city than St Remy, but I don't know what chigalori means when she called St Remy "more classical" than Aix. Aix has a very long and important history in France, and is quite old.

But I think you are thinking of the Luberon and the perched villages you've heard of around there. It is flatter to the west and NW of Aix, so you don't have that kind of thing. Now you do have the mountain range to the east (and Ste Victoire, which Cezanne painted and where I think they often do some of Tour de France), but there aren't those kind of popular villages there like in the Luberon that a lot of tourists like to visit.

I think it is pleasant to drive east from Aix around Montagne St Victoire, and there are a few small villages on that route, but nothing I think of as special. I also enjoyed visiting the Abbaye de Silvacane to the NW (but not mountains that way). You need a car for these, though.

YOu can't visit villages by train. Most towns don't have train stations until they get to be around 12-15K population. Even St Remy doesn't have a train station. Bus schedules are erratic, but there are some around there, you'd have to check at the bus station in Aix (or maybe tourist office) to see what might be available. There might be some special excursions for tourists to some places worth going.