Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Aix-En-Provence (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/aix-en-provence-41497/)

Sharon Apr 3rd, 1999 05:24 AM

Aix-En-Provence

Does anyone have hotel recommendations for Aix-En-Provence?

Catherine Apr 3rd, 1999 07:30 AM

We had a week in Aix,6 years ago.We stayed at the Novotel there.I had no idea when I booked that the Novotels were not in the city center.It was about a 5 minute drive outside Aix. <BR>However,after the initial dissapointment <BR>I was pleased because for a very reasonable price we had a swimming pool.The hotel was really nice and provided a huge buffet breakfast. <BR>We stayed for a week in Avignon after that at their Novotel.In Avignon we had a pool and tennis. <BR>The result is I am a big Novotel fan and I hope to find some on my upcoming trip to France.

anne Apr 3rd, 1999 02:15 PM

In December we stayed at the Hotel des Quatre Dauphins and recommend it highly. It's in the old section of town - easy walking to the lovely squares. They proudly tell you they're the smallest hotel in Aix - only 12 rooms. Beautifully decorated, comfortable, nice bathrooms, and a charming breakfast room/salon downstairs. Happy to pass on more info if you're interested. <BR>

Kristine Lebediker Apr 11th, 1999 07:36 PM

I just returned from my first trip to Europe where my husband and I visited Aix-en-Provence, and then took a night train to Rome. I was thoroughly enchanted by Aix. It was everything I expected Europe to be (while Rome was a big disappointment - big, loud, dirty, smelly, busy, no greenery). We stayed at the Hotel Cardinal in Aix and were quite pleased (04 42 38 32 30, Rue Cardinal). It cost only $55 for a big room, including private bath and deep tub. It is smack in the middle of town, yet on a quiet, narrow side street next to an enormous, old church. I'll never forget waking in the morning, looking up at the beautiful Gothic church while the long curtains of the ceiling-to-floor windows billowed in the breeze and the water of an old fountain outside quietly bubbled. The furniture inside is eclectic, but oh so charming. Don't miss the market in Aix on Saturday! It ends around 1 or 2. You'll love the strolling musicians, the mimes, and the beautiful, bountiful food, all beautifully presented. And if you can rent a car and like nature, get out of the town for the day and visit the Grand Canyon du Verdon, about 45 minutes away. It is the biggest canyon on the European continent. On your way into the canyon, you'll climb into the mountains, see the rolling lavendar fields, go through some picturesque little villages and pass a big, breathtaking lake the color of azure. No kidding. If I had known Rome would be such a big disappointment, I would've explored more of France. It's a big country, and I've been told there's more like Aix out there. Bon voyage!

Ellen Apr 15th, 1999 04:29 AM

I had a very good stay at the Mercure Paul Cezanne in Aix. It is right in the city center, just near the train station and 5 min. by foot to the tourist office. My room was very quaint and I'd recommend it to you! <BR> <BR>You can also call them toll free in the US at 1 800 NOVOTEL. This chain also covers IBIS, Novotel, Sofitel and Mercure. From what I understand, Mercure is mid range price and the decoration of each facility is different, in the sytle of the country. I've used IBIS extensively as it is quite cheap but the furnishings are very uniform and without charm. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps, <BR>Ellen

w.b. Apr 15th, 1999 07:28 AM

Was in Provence about 4 years ago and stayed at the Villa Gallici. It was formerly an Italian family's villa (hence the name) and was purchased and converted. Has approximately 20 rooms, and with a group of 6 people we were able to see two other rooms. Each room is decorated differently and makes you wish your bedroom at home looked like these. You do not feel like you are at a hotel. Beautiful furnishings in each room which are for the most part in provencial colors, doors that open to your own patio, and marble baths. There's a terrace just off the small lobby that's shaded with very large plane trees and overlooking the pool. If for some unknown reason you don't stay here then have dinner here and give yourself an excuse to have before and after dinner beverages outside. Conde Naste Traveler featured this hotel on the cover of an issue in 1995, I believe. Still rated a four star hotel.

Mary Apr 18th, 1999 05:30 PM

One more to check out -- <BR> <BR>My husband and I enjoyed out stay at the Hotel des Augustines in Aix in September 1996. Located in the old part of town on a cobbled stone street, the hotel was a former monastery. The room was fine, but the architecture of the structure what made it interesting and memorable to us. <BR> <BR>There was a Travel & Leisure magazine article cover story on Aix En Provence in 1996. I cannot remember the month but it was probably in sometime in the spring (since I used it to do some of our trip planning). The article focused on the Villa Gallici but also describe others. I choose the Hotel des Augustines from the T&L list. <BR> <BR>One note --- If you stay in the old part of town, get specific directions from the hotel as to their location. Some of the old streets are very narrow. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Kristine Lebediker Apr 18th, 1999 06:15 PM

I am posting again in reply to your question, only because the hotel the other respondents are talking about (Villa Gallici) is one that I had read a lot about in researching my trip to Aix. It is supposed to be just wonderful. The only reason I didn't choose to stay there was because we were on a tight budget. I'm not sure how much it costs, but I remember reading that it was quite high. Still, it is supposed to be a lovely place.