Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Aix, Cours Mirabeau-HELP (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/aix-cours-mirabeau-help-87798/)

Ron Sep 26th, 2000 10:56 AM

Aix, Cours Mirabeau-HELP

I just received some alarming news on this board that as recently as June, the Cours Mirabeau in Aix-en-Provence was completely torn up for reconstruction. As my wife and I were planning to spend an entire week in Aix right on the Cours Mirabeau, I would be interested to hear from someone who has been there more recently. <BR>

Patty Sep 28th, 2000 05:05 AM

Dear Ron: <BR> <BR>Unfortunately its true. My husband and I spent two nights in Aix the beginning of this month. Not only was it torn up but it's noisy during the day. We were disappointed, but I'm so glad we went because Aix is so wonderful. We even had dinner on Cours Mirabeau and the mess did not deter us from having a good time. We stayed at Villa Gallici -I would stay there again and recommend it highly. If you don't stay there, go for dinner and eat on the terrace under the beautiful trees sitting on the very comfortable chairs. Had dinner at Chez Maxine, which a number of people recommended on this board, actually - tried to have dinner... sat down and waited and waited .. after 30 minutes we left. They didn't even take our wine order yet! Probably just a bad night. Anyway, Aix was my favorite town in Provence,, torn up Cours Mirabeau and all. <BR> <BR>Have a great time. <BR> <BR>Patty

Christine Mar 27th, 2001 10:58 AM

I hate to resurrect this ancient thread, but I'm trying to find a hotel in Aix for 3 nights at the end of June. Can anyone tell me whether they are done with the construction on the Cours Mirabeau or will be done by then? <BR> <BR>I don't know why I'm having such a hard time booking this! I keep hearing wonderful things about Le Pigonnet and Villa Gallici, but would prefer to stay closer to the center of town and those may be more than I want to spend anyway. I've heard good/OK things about a number of hotels: Hotel des Augustins, Saint Christophe, Mercure Paul Cezanne, Hotel Cardinale, Quatre Dauphins. But whereas for other towns one hotel seemed like the clear choice for us (Hotel d'Europe in Avignon, Arlatan in Arles, Hotel Welcome in Villefranche), I'm just not getting a good feel for these hotels. <BR> <BR>Does anyone have anything to add to what I've read on previous Aix hotel threads? We're just looking for a clean, charming hotel (small rooms are fine) around $100-$150 in the center of town. <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance for your help! <BR> <BR>Christine

Ron Mar 27th, 2001 12:13 PM

Christine, <BR> <BR>I was a bit surprised when I saw my original posting resurface, but since you went to the trouble of searching and resurrecting it I thought I would respond with an update. We ended up staying with our original hotel right on Cours Mirabeau. The construction caused headaches as far as traffic when we would take the car out of town but other than that it wasn't much of a problem. That being said, we probably did miss some of the charm of Aix due to the mess and congestion on this short stretch of road. I don't think the construction is scheduled to be completed yet by June but should be pretty far along. <BR> <BR>I have seen several postings on this board re: the other hotels you mention, and as you point out, I can't recall any of them rising above the rest. Sorry, I know this wasn't much help. <BR> <BR>

Christine Mar 27th, 2001 12:25 PM

Thanks Ron! <BR> <BR>It must be weird to see such an old post of yours resurface! Well, I'm disappointed that the construction will not be done by June. Perhaps we'll just stay near the Cours Mirabeau but not actually on it. I think once we get to Aix we plan to do a lot of walking around town, so hopefully the traffic situation won't affect us too much. <BR> <BR>Thanks again. <BR>Christine

Boots Mar 27th, 2001 12:50 PM

For Christine, <BR>I have stayed in three of the hotels you mentioned. I stayed in the St. Christophe about 15 years ago and hated it, but I have read good things about it since. The rooms were so small that two of us could not move at the same time, and the restaurant was terrible. I stayed in Hôtel des Augustins in March 2000. Nice room, fairly large, very nice bathroom, very nice lobby. We did not take breakfast there. The room was a bit over $100. In October, I stayed at Les Dauphins. Rooms are smaller, no elevator, good breakfast, friendly and helpful receptionists. The cost was about $50. The Augustins is just a couple of doors off the Cours Mirabeau, les Dauphins is about three blocks off. It was easier driving to les Dauphins. I would stay at both of them again. Both times, I had to use parking garages. In October, several bottles of wine were stolen from my trunk while in the garage. I suggest you remove everything from the car every time you leave it. Boots

Christine Mar 27th, 2001 01:34 PM

Thanks Boots! It helps to have someone who can compare several of the properties!

babyckes Mar 28th, 2001 06:59 AM

We have stayed twice at des Augustins and 1 night at the Paul Cezanne--loved the Augustins! It is immediately off the Cours, I hope that is not a deterrant. We had to drop off people and bags then drive to a parking garage. The location is wonderful for exploring the center of the city We looked at several of the other hotels you mentioned, but were glad we were at the Augustins. the Paul Cezanne is not as conveniently located and not as nice. Enjoy your trip!