Aix and St.Remy Car Rental

Jan 4th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Aix and St.Remy Car Rental

Happy New year to all.

We are arriving in Aix May 5 and staying there until the 8th. From there, we will be driving to St.Remy' from the 8th to the 14th. My questions are:

1) would i need a car while i am in aix?
2) please recommend a car rental company (cheap )
3) how does garmin work in europe?

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Jan 4th, 2012, 09:47 AM

Hi, Bobby

1) No.
2) AutoEurope or Kemwel
3) Sorry, I don't use GPS, but I think you rent one with the car or bring your own and download the correct apps in advance.
Jan 4th, 2012, 09:53 AM

www.autoeurope.com is the site to check. They will provide a car from one of the major companies. I have noticed that most people here don't dare do it, but you can shop around the various AutoEurope sites and get even cheaper rates -- no matter which country you get the voucher from, it is both legal and valid due to EU competition rules.

So, for example, compare the rates of:
www.autoeurope.com
www.autoeurope.fr
www.autoeurope.be
www.autoeurope.es

... and just use the cheapest site. (Of course, there are at least another dozen suffixes that you can use....)
Jan 4th, 2012, 09:54 AM

What do you plan to do while in Aix? If you just want to enjoy the city for a few days and nights, you may not need a car. Play like a local.

We nearly always use AutoEurope for rentals in Europe. They have deals when you are making plans months in advance, and if you see a better deal even after you've committed to them, they will match it. Make your plans before you leave and it is almost painless. You will get a better deal renting for a week, and 8th through 14th works fine. You can also pick up the car in Aix and return it somewhere else (assuming you are still in France). It will cost more if you return it at an airport, but on the other hand, that may end up being a lot simpler. It will cost a lot more if you have to return it in another country (e.g., Spain).
Jan 4th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your quick reply.
Jan 4th, 2012, 09:56 AM

Agree with above but your GPS will only be useful to you if its database contains French roadmaps. If it does not, you might be able to download the information.

For the areas you mention, a Michelin map is all you really need.
Jan 4th, 2012, 10:02 AM

Another good rental company: Kemwell, which is a European company.
Jan 4th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

from st.remy, we'll be driving to marseilles to fly oout to barcelona. how long does it take to bring a car back to a rental company? is it as convenient as we do it in north america? we much rather do it the day of we fly but if its a big ceremony we can drive up to marseilles the night before.
Jan 4th, 2012, 10:06 AM

There's no need to go up the day before. It's an easy drive (maybe an hour even if you hit traffic), and the airport is small. There's one big parking lot just opposite the entrance to the airport and it's well signed.
Jan 4th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

to all of you who graciously answered, we really appreciate it. is there any other tips you can give us?
Jan 4th, 2012, 10:47 AM

Well, many of us could write volumes. What else do you need to know?
Jan 4th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

lol.StCirq you are so right.
Jan 5th, 2012, 12:33 AM

Someone above mentions it costs more to return to an airport - this isn't true. It does cost more, however, to pick up from an airport or railway station when choosing the auto europe or holiday autos basic package (around 30 euros)
Jan 5th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

i just book and kamwell charges or collects 45 euro for an airport pick up and drop off.
Jan 6th, 2012, 04:21 AM

I'm guessing that's a one off fee (and not each way) due to the pick up.

Which supplier have Kemwell put you with? Just checking National (via holiday autos) and they charge 37.50EUR incl tax