Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Airport Transfer Service - What Time to allow for clearing customs & collecting bags?

Airport Transfer Service - What Time to allow for clearing customs & collecting bags?

Old Mar 4th, 2007, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on some great advice received already from this forum...

I arrive from the US into London Heathrow at 7 a.m.. I am arranging a car transfer service to pick us up (2 of us) - as recommended, we selected "Just Airports" and are paying in cash to save a few dollars (or Euros!).

The question is...if my flight arrives at 7 a.m....what time should I request car service? How much time should I allow for Customs and for collecting our luggage?

Thanks for any advice!

8-)
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 05:54 AM

It depends on how busy the airport is on your day of arrival- at 7am, it would be fairly busy I presume with the transatlantic flights getting in around that time and after... I would imagine with any car/hire service, they would monitor your flight for the exact arrival time, and the driver would be waiting for you in the arrivals area after you clear customs/collect your bags. So, the service SHOULD request your arriving flight information. Are they asking you to call them when you get there?
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 05:56 AM
ira

Hi C,

Usually they ask you to give them your flight number, and to call them when you have your baggage.

Clearing Customs takes no time at all. You walk through the door marked "Nothing to Declare".

Old Mar 4th, 2007, 06:01 AM

I'm thinking that Just Airports works like Swiss Cottage Cars which I use. You give them your flight number. They check to see if the flight is on time or not. They have a better idea when to meet you than you can guess.

Meanwhile, I'd say that I average 45 minutes from the time I step off the international plane at Heathrow until the time I walk out through customs, including the baggage claim.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

The online registration asks for a pick up time, but also requests the flight arrival information.

Definately...always...nothing to declare!

Old Mar 4th, 2007, 07:58 AM

You will not save any dollars or euro by paying "Just Airports" in cash. You could save a few pounds though, and I would guess that is what they would prefer to receive. If not, we are in to the whole currency conversion thing again.