I'm flying from the USA to Rome, and then from Rome to Barcelona. I've heard plenty about both cities' reputations for having lots of pickpockets and the occasional mugging, and about what travelers can do to make themselves less of a target.
I'm planning to take the airport train into the city, and then walk the last few blocks to my hotel. I will have a wheeled suitcase and a backpack. So I will definitely look like a tourist.
What I'd like to know is what precautions others on this forum have taken to stay safe while riding public transit with luggage, or walking from a subway stop to their hotel with luggage.
For whatever it's worth, I've ridden airport trains and walked to hotels with luggage in other cities like San Francisco, Berlin, and Beijing, and never been pickpocketed, robbed, or even felt threatened.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 2 Where to Eat in Barcelona
- 3 10 Days in Austria
- 4 Valentine Day Gift for Girlfriend 2018
- 5 bodyweight reduce applications
- 6 London - Paris - Amsterdam trip planning help
- 7 Le Marche Research Help
- 8 Help with Venice Trip?
- 9 Help with 11 night Portugal Itinerary
- 10 Russian-American Relations: safe to travel? Get Visas?
- 11 Restaurant suggestion Bamberg
- 12 Lisbon neighborhoods
- 13 [Crete] Trapped in Skouloufia? Please help!
- 14 Preliminary planning for Croatia May or June 2017
- 15 FCO hotel for late arrival?
- 16 Greece in end October
- 17 First - but not last - trip to Greece
- 18 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 19 GTG Paris December 2017
- 20 Laurel and Hardy in Drag Do Bangkok
- 21 Planning to visit Italy in first 2 weeks of Jan
- 22 Favorite London memories
- 23 Help/Critique Slovenia Trip
- 24 Adventureseeker returns to Italy! As glorious and detailed as before!
- 25 Anthropology and Archeology for the Turkey Traveler