Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Airport to Venice, A day in Venice, then Train to Florence (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/airport-to-venice-a-day-in-venice-then-train-to-florence-928722/)

VeniceTour Mar 22nd, 2012 01:28 PM

Airport to Venice, A day in Venice, then Train to Florence

Hi,

I am flying into Marco Polo at 9am and spending the day in Venice then taking the train from the St Lucia Train station at 7pm.

What is the quickest and most economical transport I can take (how much does it cost and how long is the trip):
-from Marco Polo Airport to Venice
-getting around the Venice sestieres (Cannaregio, Santa Croce, San Polo and San Marco)
-heading to St Lucia train Station.

kybourbon Mar 22nd, 2012 01:55 PM

Will you be storing your luggage at VSL? The fastest trains are the AV trains. There are discounts for advance purchase, but base prices remain the same even if you don't buy until you arrive.

nytraveler Mar 22nd, 2012 03:08 PM

I don't understand why people say the quickest and most economical since those two things are usually mutually exclusive.

Since you will have luggage I think you need to take the airport bus to the train station so you can store it - and not haul it around Venice all day. Once you are in Venice the best transport, IMHO, is feet - unless you are going between absolutely the two farthest points in the city.

arvedg Mar 22nd, 2012 03:18 PM

Hi,

from airport to town the fastest is a water taxi - charging you something around 100 Euro.

Most economic is a combination of land bus and waterbus. You might book a day pass in advance including one way airport bus transfer (pick up the pass at the ticket machine at the bus stop with a provided code), then take bus no. 5 in front of the airport building to Venice, get off after approx 20-30 min at Piazzale Roma (final stop), hop on a waterbus (vaporetto) taking you around town, wherever you want. The travel pass gives you the flexibility to move a bit more quickly between the sestiere if you don't want to walk it all.

Single rides (without travel pass) are 5 Euro for the airport bus and 6.50 for a single ride with the Vaporetto, even for just crossing Grand Canal.

Any place not reached by the waterbus you will have to walk. But don't worry, Venice is not big at all.

For more detailed information about how and where to book public transport tickets and how to get around you might also want to check my Venice travel tips put together at http://gintenreiter-photography.com/...ce-travel-tips

Wish you a wonderful trip!

ellenem Mar 22nd, 2012 03:24 PM

From the airport, take a bus (both local and express options are available for 5€ per person) to Piazzale Roma in Venice. Walk across the modern bridge to Venezia Santa Lucia train station and store your luggage at the Deposito Bagagli.

From Venezia SL, you can walk all over Venice or get a multiple-hour travel card and ride the vaporettos as much as you'd like. There is no best--it depends on if you prefer to walk or ride and what you'd actually like to do or see in your limited time, which we cannot predict for you.

Some might suggest you immediately get a vaporetto from the train station along the Grand Canal to San Marco, and then spend the day meandering back to the train station, stopping for lunch and at points of interest. You might have a particular agenda of must-sees for you--if so, let us now what they are and we can help you make a plan.

Maudie Mar 22nd, 2012 03:45 PM

Great site, Avedg. Going back to explore it further and take a closer look at your fabulous photos.

arvedg Mar 22nd, 2012 03:53 PM

thx Maudie :))

Dayenu Mar 23rd, 2012 02:42 PM

Agree with other posters: bus to P.le Roma, walk over to train station, leave luggage, from there either walk or buy a pass for vaporetti.

dfourh Mar 23rd, 2012 03:25 PM

If you want to do Venice fast (highly recommended - - but definitely spend most your time off the beaten path) then here is my fast video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbsCmTG17_Q

VeniceTour Mar 26th, 2012 06:46 PM

1. Is it safe to store your luggage at the airport? My husband said that the last time he was there, he saw some lockers broken into.

2. What are AV trains? I only know of the ACTV bus # 5 and the ATVO bus. Where does the AV train go?

3. Would it be too much walking (the entire time) for pregnant ladies?

4. Do I buy on the veniceconnected website, "12 hr tourist travel card ACTV" or 12hr tourist travel card ACTV + airport bus transfer one way"?

5. Can you recommend me places I must visit and see and eat at?

VeniceTour Mar 26th, 2012 07:40 PM

6. Where should I exchange currencies when I arrive in Venice?

7. Should I carry traveller's checks?

Sassafrass Mar 26th, 2012 08:35 PM

No traveller's checks. Have an ATM card with chip and pin#.

Take luggage to SL station because that is where you will be departing Venice. No point going back and forth to the airport. Do allow plenty of time to pick it up though.

How far along and how energetic are the ladies? If they are young and healthy and not near the end of the pregnancy, the only problem I see is the need for frequent bathroom stops. You don't have to walk quickly in Venice. Though you won't see everything you want, you can kind of meander and savor being there.

janisj Mar 26th, 2012 08:56 PM

"<i>No traveller's checks. Have an ATM card with chip and pin#.</i>"

One slight correction/clarification. Assuming you are American, you almost certainly don't have 'chip & pin' ATM or credit cards. Not to worry. Your ATM card w/ your usual PIN will work in the machines.

Don't 'exchange' currencies anywhere - just use your ATM card.

kybourbon Mar 26th, 2012 09:14 PM

>>>1. Is it safe to store your luggage at the airport? My husband said that the last time he was there, he saw some lockers broken into.<<<

Must have been a very long time ago as I don't think Italian airports have had lockers since 9/11. You will need to store your luggage at the Venice train station (luggage room, not lockers) as you don't want to trek all the way back to the airport to retrieve luggage.

>>>What are AV trains?<<<

The fastest trains between major cities in Italy. You will want to take an AV train from Venice to Florence.

ellenem Mar 27th, 2012 04:24 AM

"4. Do I buy on the veniceconnected website, "12 hr tourist travel card ACTV" or 12hr tourist travel card ACTV + airport bus transfer one way"?"

If you want to take the bus from the airport, than certainly the the pass that includes the bus would be the one to get. With the travel card, you can choose to ride the vaporettos as much you like. This can save you some walking is you get tired. Also, the best facades of many of the palazzos face the GRand Canal, so ride a vaporetto the full length to experience this view.

VeniceTour Mar 27th, 2012 12:12 PM

1. So it's cheaper to just withdraw money as needed from ATM rather exchanging money into EUR?

2. I believe She will be about 2 months along in her pregnancy by that time.

3. Are the luggages attended by an attendee?

ellenem Mar 27th, 2012 04:24 PM

In general, you get a better exchange rate and lower fees when using an ATM to withdraw form your own account. Check with your bank to see if it charges fees for international withdrawals.

The Deposito Bagagli is a guarded room. In fact you will probably have to show ID before they will even allow you to leave baggage there--very secure.

VeniceTour Mar 27th, 2012 05:24 PM

Wow!! Thank you everyone for such great information. You have all helped me out so much with all the clarifications. I'm feeling more reassured about all my arrangements now. Looking forward to my trip

VeniceTour Mar 28th, 2012 03:03 PM

One other question: how much do the ATM's usually charge for fees when doing withdrawals?

janisj Mar 28th, 2012 03:44 PM

"<i>One other question: how much do the ATM's usually charge for fees when doing withdrawals?</i>

Bank ATMs won't charge you anything. The only fees are what your own bank tacks on . . .