Airport to Termine with gaggle of kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2006, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it feasible for a group of three slightly hysterical mothers and seven tired children flying in from southern Africa to land at Rome airport at 9am and catch a train to Orvieto at 11.10 from Rome Termine?
We need to get off the plane at 9am (presuming no delays), get through passport control (where incoming Africans are often grilled and delayed apparently) and baggage retrieval to the Leonardo Express with 10 pieces of luggage, then on to the vast main Rome Termine, where we promptly need to find out which platform our 11.14am Orvieto train leaves from?
My specific questions are:
(i) is it feasible to land at 9am, get on to 9.35 or 10.07am Leo Express connection, get to Rome Termine Platform 24 at about 10.45 and locate and board the Orvieto train for our 11.14 departure? Is this doable given the disparate group I describe, and given that children demand toilet breaks and drinks of water at most inconvenient times?
(ii) If the plane is delayed and/or we have to wait longer than expected for Leo Express, we might arrive at the Termine at the last minute and scramble to find our Orvieto train across 24 platforms. We can spot one lion on a vast African savanna, but our eyes are not used to scanning a herd of trains in a massive station!
(iii) Do you think I should play safe and book my Orvieto train for one hour later (around 12.30 is the next)? We are all impatient to reach our final destination and don't wish to hang about the Termine - but do you advise me to play safe in this case?
Thank you so much. Hamba Kahle!
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 03:59 AM

That walk from the platform where the express comes into termini to the platform from which your train will depart <b>could be</b> a long one.

I don't suppose it would be worth the money to avoid the hassles and arrange for a car/van transfer.

I will refrain from commenting on the many ways to meet the &quot;demands&quot; of the children.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 04:15 AM

Why not just buy the tickets when you arrive, then there'll be no pressure ? I've always just bought train tickets when I arrive at the station in Italy, for the next convenient train. If you use a self-service machine there'll be no queue, there's an English option &amp; it's all very clear.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 04:17 AM

P.S. Although you can buy tickets straight through from the airport, I wouldn't even do that - just buy a set of tickets to Termini, then buy the tickets to Orvieto at Termini - that way you won't be panicking if the kids need a loo break or whatever.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Caroline - I hear what you're saying. I guess I was worrying about August being high season, crowded trains with no seats available, etc. This is why we are considering pre-booking online with trenitalia - just to be sure. Are you saying there's no queueing and plenty seats available on most trains August, even last minute? Thanks for your input. i so appreciate it.