Airport-to-Rome Taxi

Old Mar 14th, 2000, 05:05 PM
Sam

Airport-to-Rome Taxi

Need some "been there, done that" guidance. We're looking to take a taxi from the airport to Rome (piazza navona) on a Saturday morning. Where exactly do we find the official taxi queue at the airport? What should we expect for the fare? What should we "beware" of? Thanks for your insight.

Old Mar 14th, 2000, 05:44 PM
ray seva

When we were in Rome last year, we had the hotel front-desk get hold of a private car...sort of like a limo but regular car, we were told. Were we surprised! The car was a Mercedes...and he charged us about $55 US (total for 3 people). It was about the same cost for a cab. The difference was that this car was really nice...and we felt pretty secure with the driver, never feeling that we were going to be ripped off. I highly suggest you check into this. <BR> <BR>PS I think it took about 30-minutes to get to the airport. Our driver said he knew a shortcut; we trusted him...and he was right.

Old Mar 15th, 2000, 01:36 PM
Sam

Thanks Ray. But I was actually looking for info on getting to Rome from the airport via taxi. Any experience there?

Old Mar 15th, 2000, 02:30 PM
Ed

Taxi queue is out in front of the arrivals (customs) area. <BR> <BR>Beware of limo drivers. If you can strike a good deal it's fine, but most will try and stick you with a high fare. <BR> <BR>Fare should normally run ITL50,000-70,000 with a modes tip. ($30-40). <BR> <BR>Many will argue for the train, which is cheaper though you may need a cab to your hotel from the station. After a long transatlantic trip we figure the cab isn't that much more expensive, and well worth the convenience. <BR> <BR>Undoubtedly there are some crooked taxi drivers in Rome, but we've not run across one yet in more than two dozen trips over 30+ years. Odds are in your favor that you'll get to your destinatin by the most direct route available at the time. <BR> <BR>Rome.Switzerland.Bavaria <BR>www.twenj.com

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 05:44 AM
Bev

Why a taxi? For a few bucks, the train is great, and a taxi from the station to your hotel will be just 8 to 12 dollars. We found the train comfortable efficient, and easy for non-Italian speaking visitors. <BR>By the weay, the Eurstar trains within Italy are wonderful.