Airport to Rome Hotel

Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:32 AM
flying

Airport to Rome Hotel

My mom and I are doing a tour, but were able to fly out on FF miles, so my only responsiblity is getting to the Hotel on our own. I speak absolutely no Italian, and am not exactly an experienced traveler. Will I be able to find a taxi, speak english and get to my hotel with out getting ripped off? Any helpful tips?

Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:35 AM
honey

No problem. Just go to the official taxi stand and ignore all the guys trying to offer you a ride right when you clear customs. Make sure the driver starts the meter. Write the name and address of your hotel on a piece of paper and give it to the driver, to make it easier. You might get one that speaks English.

You might also be able to arrange a transfer through your hotel. It will cost more but would be very simple.

Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:00 AM
les

You should also be aware that there is a train station at the airport. Trains leave every half hour and arrive at Termini Station in Rome, where you could catch a cab to your hotel. It's a lot cheaper than a cab.

Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:32 AM
Angela

You might want to try www.limoservicerome.com which has been mentioned favorably numerous times on this forum. We personally used them and even though it costs slightly more than the train, it was well worth it to us after a 10 hour plane ride. I might add, our plane was 2 hours late and someone was still there to meet us!

Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:43 AM
elaine

like Angela I had a car service meet me and take me to my hotel. Driver spoke excellent English. I used
Euroservice, email is [email protected]

Apr 4th, 2002, 04:44 AM
Marianna

Hi,
I live and work in Rome as a tour guide and would recommend that you and your Mum either take the advice given before of using a metered taxi from the official stand.
The limo service is also an excellent option although a little more expensive.
If you are nervous or concerned about doing this on your own, I would strongly recommend that you do not take the train to Termini station and then a taxi. For the novice traveller this is not a good way to start what will be a wonderful holiday for you. Most of the taxi drivers that work the airport run do speak English however to be on the safe side the suggestion of your hotel details written down is a good one.
If you would like any other help at all do feel free to contact me direct at [email protected] and I would be more than happy to help out.
Have an absolutely wonderful time as I am sure you will.
Regards
Marianna

Apr 4th, 2002, 04:55 AM
craig

I used the train service to Termini and found it to be very efficient. The train ride was very relaxing after our flight. Allmost everyone who works at the airport speaks English so the main thing is not to panic. As soon as you exit customs their is a bar, sit here and enjoy a coffee then make for the Train terminal. Ignore all offers of a taxi as even the licensed Taxis sometimes try and rip you off. The limo service sounds perfect but sadly I travelled on a budget.

Apr 4th, 2002, 06:43 AM
flying

I can't believe the quick response from everyone! Thank you for the helpful suggestions. I was amazed at the limoservicerome website. After a very long day of traveling, I think that might be my way to go, especially since I am traveling with my mom. Getting to use FF miles helped my budget, otherwise, I would take the train for the experience! Thank you again.

Apr 4th, 2002, 07:32 AM
JOdy

I used www.limoservicerome.com and was most pleased with their service. Booked on line , 37 Euros , the driver was waiting as we exited customs, nice clean Mercedes, and a fast ride to our hotel at Pza de Popolo! One our return trip to airport , he was agin very prompt at pick up and had us into airport in under 30 minutes

Apr 4th, 2002, 08:01 AM
GAC

37 Euros for a clean Mercedes is a good rate. If you take the train to Termini Station, the fare is 9 Euros per person, plus another 10 Euros minimum to reach the hotel from the Termini Station. So, for an additional 9 Euros (possibly less), you avoid the taxi line at Termini and reach your hotel faster, without hauling your luggage.

Apr 5th, 2002, 05:01 AM
rome

If you use Limoservicerome.com be sure to have a phone number so you can call and confirm. We ended up taking a taxi back to the airport.

Apr 5th, 2002, 07:02 PM
Sandie

If you take a train from the airport to the terminini....how do you go about getting a ticket?

Apr 5th, 2002, 09:17 PM
Dayle

Sandie, they can be purchased right at the airport train station.

I would repeat the advice to make sure you take an OFFICIALtaxi from the Rome Termini station.

My boyfriend & I unwitingly got in an unofficial cab. We explained where we needed to go & gave the drive the written address & agreed on a price.

He drove us to a dark street with very little foot traffic. Then he got out & had to ask a passerby if this was the right street. We don't know if he was faking to increase his fare or if he really didn't know where he was going!

After getting the correct directions, he managed to get us to our hotel. Then demanded twice what the agreed on price had been. My boyfriend didn't want to argue or get in a fight, so he paid.

We didn't let it ruin our trip, but it was the only "dumb tourist" mistake we made.