Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Airport to Amsterdam by train (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/airport-to-amsterdam-by-train-366933/)

TRA Jan 8th, 2004 11:47 AM

Airport to Amsterdam by train

Is it easy and convenient to take a train/subway from the airport to the city? Arriving in a few days. Staying at the Marriott in Amsterdam. Any help would be appreciated. Cost, Time, etc.

martytravels Jan 8th, 2004 12:15 PM

SOOO easy. You just go right downstairs in the arrival hall to the train station (after buying your ticket from one of the selservice machines or a ticket window) and board the yellow and blue train to Centraal Station. They leave every 10 minutes and are cheap (like 3 euro or something)

martytravels Jan 8th, 2004 12:16 PM

Also, the trip into Centraal station from the airport is about 15-20 minutes.

mercury Jan 8th, 2004 12:43 PM

In June, we got in to the airport around 9:00 am and decided to to take a taxi to the Marriott. There was a bit of traffic, but it was very convenient, and cost about $35 for the 3 of us. We really liked the Marriott--great location! They let us check in when we got there. With an executive room you have access to the lounge which had a nice spread of snacks & drinks...kind of quiet and relaxed. Also included was free internet access in the business center. Another nice amenity at this hotel was the little laundry room w/free machines including automatic soap dispensers. We had a very good experience at the Marriott near Liedsplan (SP?).

Travelnut Jan 8th, 2004 01:33 PM

If you decide to take the train from Schiphol to Centraal, then you can take a taxi to the Marriott for about 10E.
Or, you can buy the strippenkaart for the tram, and take line 1,2 or 5 to Leidseplein (someone check me on those numbers) and walk to Marriott.

TracyB Jan 8th, 2004 03:37 PM

Take the Connexxion Bus from the airport..It is 30 Euro return and I think it possibly stops in front of the hotel,(if not then right down the street) several times per day..It is easy to take the train, but if you have alot of luggage you have to load it on and off the train and then have to get to the hotel...It is the best way in my opinion. I don't think they have a website but their phone # is 020-6534975..You catch it right outside the airport at Gate A9 I think..It leaves almost every 30 minutes until about 10:00 P.M.

TRA Jan 8th, 2004 07:13 PM

This site is awesome. I appreciate the info.

PatrickLondon Jan 9th, 2004 04:49 AM

One niggle I have is that the self-service ticket machines in the Schiphol railway station don't take notes, only coins (or didn't the last time I went).

martytravels Jan 9th, 2004 06:53 AM

I took Connexion once but wouldn't again. The train is faster and so much cheaper, and wasn't a hassle at all. (And I was dragging a very heavy 29-inch upright Pullman filled with 9 days worth of stuff to wear)