First time in Dublin

Search

First time in Dublin

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time in Dublin

My friend's and I will be studying abroad in Rome, but are planning 4 days in Dublin!

What would be fun things to do/see for college students on a budget in Dublin! Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 03:20 PM

You have already posted a similar enquiry. To check on your previous posts (and any answers they get) mouseclick on your username at the top of the page.

What sort of activities do you have in mind? Drinking and partying? Traditional music and culture? Fine art and museums? Shopping?

Be warned: Dublin is expensive. Do you want hotel accommodation, B&B, or hostel?
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

good to know, i couldnt find my original post - is there a way to delete it?

anyways - of course a bit of drinking, culture and some shopping/art ... bit of everything as we can fit in 4 days!

we;re thinking of staying in a hostel too
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 03:41 PM

I don't think there is a way to delete a post. In a day or two it will drop down the listing and out of the sight of all but the most dedicated users of the forum.

Many of Dublin's hostels are in marginal areas -- okay for the streetwise. One of the better-located ones is http://www.kinlaydublin.ie/ I am not a hostel user, especially not in Dublin where I have beds available to me, so I don't have personal experience. It has a fairly good reputation, though.

It's on the edge of Temple Bar, the centre for eating, drinking, and high jinks. It's a stone's throw from Christchurch Cathedral, where you can go for some quiet reflection after the follies of the night before. Across the road to Dublin Castle, a few hundred yards to Trinity College to see the Book of Kells and the Library, and just have a nice time on the peaceful campus in the middle of a busy city. Shopping all around you.

That do, for starters?
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the suggestions .. how about hotels in the Temple Bar area?
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 01:46 PM

Hi Joy,

I stay in hostels quite a bit and have stayed in a few in Dublin. You might check out the Oliver St. John Gogarty's. They were quite reasonable a few years ago and right in Temple Bar. Another plus was that they are right next door to the pub!

Enjoy!

Maureen
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 01:48 PM

Sorry...forgot to put the link:

www.gogartys.ie/accommodation/
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 08:07 AM

I stayed in Isaacs hostel last year for about 10euro a night and i really liked it.

Shopping - Grafton street all the way! All the usual high street shops are there. Dundrum Town Centre is about 15 mins out the city centre on the Luas and that's really good too.

Try an open top bus (if it's not raining of course to hop on and off. Go see the Book of Kells in Triity College in the city centre.

Go for a drink in Whelans for casual (anywhere but not Temple Bar!) or if you like getting dressed up high heels etc, try Crystal night club.

Hope this helps
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 02:57 AM

I would avoid the Issacs area...to many junkies in town these days and that area would not be the best at night...Kinlay house always has and excellent rep and is central. Gogherty...not sure and may be loud as well but go for the music upstairs at night or the musical pub crawl that starts there most nights.

Cheap daytime eats - Epicurean Food hall on Liffey street off the Hapenny bridge. Its like a food court but some good food there. Italian pannini, Fish and Chips and my fav is the Mexican as well as some buffet places.

To do ...go to the pubs in the evenings and also to see what is on to do go to the tourist office on Suffolk street (Its in an old renovated church) and they will have lots of info about what is happening. If in the summer check pout the Temple bar resource centre as there are free poutdoor moveies on saturdays up to August/sept but you need to bet a free ticket from them by Friday.

Have fun.
Old Aug 14th, 2008, 05:33 AM

We were in Dublin last summer and stayed in a wonderful small hotel, the Pembroke Townhouse. It's in Ballsbridge which is a very nice residential area. I found it to be recommended by several people on this site, and we were very happy with it. Very nice rooms, quiet, and a great breakfast included.
Old Aug 14th, 2008, 08:09 AM

Try getting rooms at Trinity College.

http://www.tcd.ie/accommodation/
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 02:10 AM

Trinity is only open in the summer for rooms. Sounds like they will be travelling during term time. Its great value though.