Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Airport shuttle in Paris, France (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/airport-shuttle-in-paris-france-874483/)

awygn Jan 20th, 2011 06:05 PM

Airport shuttle in Paris, France

Can anyone tell me if I can make arrangement with the airport shuttle after I arrive at CDG and pay in Euro?

StCirq Jan 20th, 2011 08:00 PM

WHAT airport shuttle? There are dozens.I expect all want to be paid in euros.

adrienne Jan 20th, 2011 08:22 PM

Yes you can if you want to wait for them to dispatch a car for you. Bring some phone numbers with you and call after you clear immigration.

I can't imagine that they would want payment in anything other than Euros.

awygn Jan 20th, 2011 09:40 PM

StCirq: What airport shuttle?

The Super Shuttle

Thanks

awygn Jan 20th, 2011 09:50 PM

Adrienne: Thanks for the suggestion.

Suzanne2 Jan 21st, 2011 07:15 AM

Check wth the information desk once you reach the airport. They once called a shuttle for me. We use Parishuttle quite a bit. So far so good. Good idea to bring phone numbers. Parishuttle will take CC. Taxi's will not.

Christina Jan 21st, 2011 09:09 AM

I think some of them require prepayment by CC or something, that may be why the question.

I'm surprised Suzanne said the tourist desk called one after arrival, I thought they were forbidden by law/regulation to do that in Paris (due to taxi unions). YOu can see why, in some cities, you can't just get into one upon arrival without prebooking as then they are direct competition to the taxis.

annhig Jan 21st, 2011 09:16 AM

awgyn,

where do you want to go? the RER B runs frequently from CDG, and connects with most of the other metro/RER lines at one place or another.

there are few places in Paris that you can't get to on the RER/metro, and a ticket from CDG to anywhere in central Paris is €8.60 one way. it would be a lot cheaper than the shuttle and unless you have loads of luggage, may be easier.

Guenmai Jan 21st, 2011 09:24 AM

Over the years, I have also done the same as Suzanne2 has done. I have gotten a shuttle, upon arrival at the airport, and have also booked shuttles before I've left home.

I was regularly using www.airport-connection.com, but then recently went on their website only to find out that Super Shuttle has bought them out.

A close friend, e-mailed me last night, and said that one of her family members who's studying in Paris, recently used Super Shuttle and all went well, so she's using them when she arrives, solo, into Paris in a few months.

Suzanne2: What's the website for Paris Shuttle? I'd like to look them up and maybe I'll give them a try now that my shuttle company no longer exists. It depends on the price. I was paying only 54 Euros, rd. trip, from CDG-Paris-CDG, with www.airport connection.com. That was in a shared shuttle.

I would try Super Shuttle, but I had a personal beef with them here in the States and don't use them anymore and have thus switched over to a different shuttle company that I use here. But, to each his own. Happy Travels!

Guenmai Jan 21st, 2011 09:26 AM

Awygn: Did you mean that you wanted to pay in "cash" Euros as opposed to prepaying? That's how I interpreted what you wrote. Maybe I interpreted it wrong, though. Happy Travels!

Suzanne2 Jan 21st, 2011 02:57 PM

To Clarify. we had pre-booked with Bee shuttle. Our luggage did not arrive with us and so we were delayed at teh airport. I asked a guy at the information desk to call the shuttle company for me and he did. I'm not sure if they will provide that service to everyone. I like booking with parishuttle.com because they give you a toll free number you can call from the baggage claim area. Then they tell you which exit to use to meet your shuttle. We have had to wait a bit a few times in the 10 times we have used this company. I always tell them an earlier then actual flight time for our return. Just to be on the safe side. Never had a problem. Last year I had planned to take the RER after our exhusting trip with luggage getting to our apartment from CDG I changed my mind. I called Parishuttle the day before we needed them and they had a driver there the next morning. We paid him with a CC. So I imagine you could call them form the airport itself without pre-booking. I don't think I'd chance that though. They might not get to you right away.

Guenmai, You use LAX right? If so what shuttle service do you use. I only know about supershuttle and I'm less than thrilled with them.

Parishuttle.com only one s

Guenmai Jan 21st, 2011 06:38 PM

Suzanne2: Thanks for the shuttle's website. Yes, I go in and out of LAX and regularly as I'm from L.A. County. When I don't just leave my car in the lot on 96th Street, then I take Prime Time Shuttle Company. For decades, I used to take both Super Shuttle and Prime Time until I had the beef with Super Shuttle. It was actually involving a friend's experience, but I took on the friend's case as the friend was staying with me.

As for Prime Time, I've been fine with them. I've taken them for decades,too and personally have gotten really nice drivers. That's been my experience. And of course stuff can happen and there have been shuttle companies, over the decades, that have had shuttles that didn't shown up to people's houses for the pick up. That was usually due to overbooking or running behind schedule or traffic situations. L.A. is big.

One of my best friends ordered a shuttle, not Prime Time, and it didn't show up to his house. So, he and his friend had to jump in his car and speed off to LAX and leave the car in the parking lot for 2 weeks as they were off to Europe for their annual vacation. I however have not had a shuttle not show up and I've taken a lot of them.

I don't remember Prime Times website, off the top of my head, but it can easily be googled.

Sometimes I take the shared shuttle service and other times I take their private car service which is really nice. On the shared shuttle, for where I need to sometimes go, it's around $38 to $40, excluding the tip, one way. The price might have changed a bit.

In a taxi, from LAX, I've paid $81.00, tip excluded, one way, and when it was late at night and no traffic slow downs. However, when I take the private car service, it's been $80.00, tip included, and the driver comes to my door and takes the luggage and puts it into the car and at the airport, drops me off right at the luggage cart area and takes the luggage out and sits it near the luggage carts. Then I can pay to get a cart and easily place my suitcases on it.

If I have booked the private car service to pick me up at LAX, the driver has always been there upon my arrival and then rolls the luggage cart out to the car, parked in the parking lot. One can't wait curbside at LAX, so the parking lot has to be used. Hope this has helped.
Happy Travels!

Guenmai Jan 21st, 2011 06:46 PM

I forgot to add that as for the shuttle services in Paris, I have also requested an earlier pick up time than they have suggested. With airport-connection, I would just click on either the 45 minute or 1 hour earlier pick up time. I have never missed a flight home from Paris and I've been going there, nearly annually, since the mid 70s. I've always made it to the airport in time; even when I was stuck in a broke down RER train and when finally getting out, running to street level to take a taxi to CDG. And also when a taxi that my Parisian friend reserved and reconfirmed and the driver even called and reconfirmed, but it never showed up. I still made it to the airport on time. So, it's about giving one extra time for possible mishaps. Smiles. Happy Travels!

Suzanne2 Jan 22nd, 2011 06:51 AM

Thanks I will check out Primetime shuttle. In May we had to go to Texas. When we got to Lax we found the 96th street parking lot closed. So we had to hurry over to Wally park which is more expensive. I don't know if that s still the case. I will try Primetime for our trip to Paris in April. We are taking our daughter and son-in-law and their baby so I think a shuttle is best.

One year my sister and another couple who had 6 children between them called super shuttle for a trip LAX. One shuttle showed up and all the kids ages 3-10 hopped in and before any of the adults could do anything the driver took off with all the kids. The next shuttle did not show up for 10 minutes. My sister nearly had a heart attack. Fortunately all of the kids were standing in front of the terminal at LAX when the adults arrived.

Guenmai Jan 22nd, 2011 06:56 AM

Suzanne2: The 96th Street lot is open. I parked in it in October. Take the Prime Time private car service as the price quoted is per car, not per person. Have a great trip. Happy Travels!

Suzanne2 Jan 22nd, 2011 07:25 AM

It is parking lot B that is closed. Tha is the one we normally used.

Guenmai Jan 22nd, 2011 06:17 PM

Oh, it might be "C" that I use. It's the huge one that's $12.00 a day, unless it's gone up. It used to be just referred to as the 96th Street lot. Happy Travels!

ggreen Jan 22nd, 2011 07:30 PM

Hi awygn! Where in Paris is your destination? I have often used the Roissybus to get into Paris proper, but that's because it stops near where I stay with friends. If I'm staying someplace easily accessible by RER, then I will always use it - I guess the public-transit habit is hard wired for me, because truth be told it's not the least stressful way to get into the city after an overseas overnight flight! LOL

Like the others, I'm not a fan of Super Shuttle here in USA (not just NYC but haven't had particularly good service with them other places, as well), so I wouldn't be quick to use them in Paris either...

kerouac Jan 23rd, 2011 02:28 AM

It is actually road traffic that stresses me after a long flight, whether by shuttle, taxi or bus. I feel much safer on rails, anywhere in the world.

Gretchen Jan 23rd, 2011 04:09 AM

The OP seems to have not been to Paris before with this question. A taxi, while more expensive if there is only one person, just seems more certain to begin a trip. It will be about 50E and could be considered a stress free investment to begin a trip. The return to CDG could be a less expensive alternative, once familiar with the possibilities.
I am also curious why the OP doesn't want to pre-book online and have it all arranged.
I HATE Super Shuttle in the US.