Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Airport Hotel in Rome & Venice-Fiumicino Transportation

Jun 25th, 2003, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

My husband and I are going to Italy in November, 6 days in Rome followed by 3 days in Venice. We plan to take the train from Rome to Venice. Our return flight is from Rome at 6:55 am, so we want to stay close to Fiumicino the night before. Can anyone advise on the following?

1) Transportation from Venice to Fiumicino. The train takes 6 hours, with a change in Rome (or 12 hours! with changes in Bologna and in Rome). Are there other alternatives that are more direct and less time-consuming? We'd like to have as much time in Venice as possible.

2) Is there anywhere to stay close to Fiumicino, other than the Rome Airport Hilton, which is 250 Euro/night?

Many thanks for any advice!
Jun 25th, 2003, 08:11 PM

Have you thought about FLYING from Rome to Venice

www.opodo.com-- I just looked at this website and found one way tkt for 67.50 GB lb....

worth looking into to save some time....
Jun 27th, 2003, 04:52 AM
ss

I just returned 6/24 from Rome where I stayed 1 night at the Holiday Inn Parco di Medici which is their airport location (rec by a Fodorite).You cannot book Holiday Inn on line -they're not ready for that state of the art yet. So when you call 1-800 ask for the Hotel Holiday Inn ROMA Parco di Medici. However, I found that there are not really any hotels just there at FCO. The drive is about 15 mins away. The very best (begging) rate I got was 165 Euro with tax & an amazing normal American breakfast buffet. The hotel is luxury!!! Free transp from and to FCO, but last one out is at 10pm. Also we wanted to leave the Hotel at 9:30 AM, but transp shuttle leaves at 8:30 & 10:30. So call & ck that. We enjoyed shopping and looking in all the duty free shops.
The rate will be better in November also see if your mileage programs have any discount coupons.
Ciao,
SS
Jun 27th, 2003, 05:16 AM
ira

Hi Julie,

I second the Holiday Inn Parco di Medici.

I also ran the logistics on getting to the hotel from Venice. You would have to take the 16:33 train from Venice, but the connections are very tight to get the shuttle to FCO and the shuttle to the hotel. (about 15 min between changes)

I think flying would be better.

OR

Why not fly into Venice and out of Rome?

OR

If you have to fly in and out of Rome, why not do 3 days in Rome, 3 days in Venice and 3 days in Rome. Your Rome hotel could arrange a taxi or Limo for you in the wee hours of the morning.

Have a good trip.
Jun 27th, 2003, 05:20 AM
ira

PS,

Just remembered. The hotel says a cab from Rome TE to the hotel is about 35E.

You could take the 18:33 from Venice SL, arrive Rome at 23:05 and cab to the hotel.

Unfortunately, the first hotel shuttle to FCO is at 6:45.
Jun 27th, 2003, 05:34 AM

While you're at opodo.com checking airfares, check their hotel rates. They list the Holiday Inn that ss mentioned for $59-125/night (that's $ not euros!)

The airfare (on Lufthansa) is 124.50 GBP roundtrip. The flight is an hour. Might be worth forgetting the train??
Jun 27th, 2003, 06:46 AM
ira

Hi McLaurie,

Thanks for the info on rates at the Holiday Inn.
Jun 27th, 2003, 07:08 AM

No problem, Ira.

BTW, on another current thread about FCO hotels, it states the Hilton is the only hotel actually AT FCO. The others are evidently all in Parco de Midici. It also mentions a Sheraton there.
Jun 27th, 2003, 12:55 PM

Had the same problem finding a hotel nearby the Fiumicino Airport last Nov.Stayed in Ostia - a nice residential area- near to FCO . The hotel was the Airport Palace. Paid a little over 100 euros including continental breakfast. Complimentary bus to airport. Lots of people , including various crew members, heading to the airport early. Booked it from their web site.
Jun 27th, 2003, 01:26 PM

Is there a way to get the cost of flights from opodo.com( thanks great site) in euro or dollar?
Fluffy
Jun 27th, 2003, 01:33 PM

Just figured it out... da...
Fluff