Airport help for knee injury

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2005, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm recovering from a knee injury and think I should take advantage of help in the airports so I can arrive in the best shape possible. I can walk but don't want to stand for a long time or walk long distances. I think I have 2 options :
1) wheelchair. This would get me through security. I'd need to arrange ahead with airline?
2) motorized cart. This would get me between gates. Arrange ahead? Arrange when I get to airport? Would I be able to avoid long security line?
I'll be flying on SAS from Seattle through Copenhagen (with a companion). Any advice or ideas or experiences would be appreciated.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 09:57 AM

Well it seems you should call SAS and arrange to have a cart or wheelchair waiting for you at the plane's door.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 10:03 AM

The same question came up not too long ago.

I would contact the airlines and indicate that you will need assistance. They have Special Assistance Coordinators that will be happy to help you in any way possible. You need to call them at least 48 hours ahead so they can be ready for you.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 10:11 AM

I have mobility problems so I'm a user of that kind of services You have to talk with your airline and tell them your problem, they are the ones who have to arrange everything for you. You cannot choose between the wheelchair and the motorized cart..it depends on the airport and the means they have and use for the purpose. As an example..London Gatwick uses motorized cars , London Stansted only has wheelchairs.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses. I'll talk to SAS.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 04:20 PM

I've used a wheelchair several times when my knee has been bad, and that's worked very well. It usually speeds up the security process, as a TSA agent takes you through to your plane. Going through customs is also easier, as whoever is pushing the wheelchair knows shortcuts and will also help with your luggage.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 07:13 PM

Not going through security but going through immigrations and customs at SFO I was in a wheelchair as thanks to a "helpful friend" in Italy I fell while crossing a street 2 days before flying home. My knee was a mess. KLM had a person meet me at SFO and they insisted I get into the wheelchair (I did not want to). Well let me tell you, that was the easiest way to get through SFO and to my shuttle bus, LOL. Do call your airlines. I see people being taken care of all the time in airports. And have a wonderful trip!
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 03:27 AM

out of curiosity, how does one push someone in their wheelchair and also be expected to carry their luggage? just asking...my friend is a skycap and it seems people come off the plane expecting him to push them in a wheelchair and have large carry ons, usually one rolling bag (and their personal bag which usually goes on their lap). In reality you don't have two options, you tell the airline you need assistance and they provide wheelchair or motorized cart, it is their choice.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 09:12 AM

shortattentionspan, I agree with you, sometimes I feel bad for the skycaps where there are not carts. I blame the airport authorities, I think they should have motorized carts in every airport to make their work easier.
Most people who needs assistance like me try to pack light to avoid the baggage reclaim because sometimes, especially when travelling in low cost airlines (small airports) there's no one to help when you arrive even when you have asked for it (I've been in that situation).
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 09:22 AM

When I know I'll need a wheelchair I take with me only a small carry-on that I can hold on my lap. Other luggage is checked.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 01:12 PM

The time I needed a wheelchair when arriving at SFO (due to the knee injury) I had a 29inch suitcase. I don't remember how the gentleman getting me through immigrations and customs managed the suitcase. It is a good question.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

I'll be traveling with a companion who can handle any luggage so that won't be a problem. I'm hoping I will continue to improve in the next week so maybe I won't need help, but then again it doesn't make sense to restress my knee before I arrive.