Search

Day trip to Florence & Naples

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2016, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day trip to Florence & Naples

Hi,
We are planning to be in Rome in mid-August for 5 days, with our two kids. We would like to plan a day trip to Florence and possibly Naples. Looking for ideas for best ways to plan it. Is it worth taking a tour bus from Rome or better to take a train and then hire a tour guide. Open to any other suggestions. Thank you!
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 02:05 PM

How old are the kids? Old enough to be fine with an all-day guided tour?

Easy enough to do Florence by train and on your own - the main site is the city center - compact -very compact - see the Duomo - climb to the top perhaps - and Uffizi Museum (book in advance to save time waiting in line) go over the famous Ponte Vecchio and hit several gelato places - A guided tour would be too much for kids of some age or some folks of any age.

Book train tickets far in advance to get discounted tickets - www.trenitalia.com is the official site of Italian railways - kids under a certain age go free I think.

For lots on trains and booking check www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

I'd skip Naples as a day trip and instead take a day trip to Pompeii -near Naples - even young kids can appreciate that famous place - tour guides available at ticket window.
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 02:09 PM
mjs

Is this time in addition to your 5 days in Rome?
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 02:27 PM
ekc

With only 5 days in Rome, I would plan one day trip max.
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 02:30 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Do you mean ONE day trip to include both Florence and Naples? If so, no that is not "a" day trip - they are in opposite directions.

And w/o knowing the age of your children it is really hard to give advice.
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 02:31 PM

My daughter (age 9) did very well with a full day tour of Florence. It started at the Accademia, then some walking around the city, the Duomo and the Ponte Vecchio. We were on our own for lunch then met back up with the tour for the Uffizi. After the tour we went back to the Ponte Vecchio for some shopping them around the city a little more.
I dont know your kids stamina for museums but a full day is a little intense but our DD does pretty good with anything with the promise of gelato at the end of the day!!!!
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 02:32 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh -- I see from one of your other threads they are 8yo and 10yo -- They are <i>almost</i> old enough but I personally would not take a day-long coach tour w/ an 8yo. Not fair to the child and possibly not fair to the other passengers.
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 02:45 PM

The high speed Frecce trains do Rome to Florence in around 1,5 hrs. With advance buying you get 50 percent discount on the tickets (those tickets are only valid for the specified train at that hour). Otherwise it could be a costly affair. Children under 4 are free; from 4 to 14 at half price.
A not very well known attraction in Florence is the Museo la Specola with the curious, but fascinating collection of 18th century wax models of human bodies (and parts of it), used for medical training (www.atlasobscura.com/places/la-specola). The children might find it a welcome change after all those boring churches.
Pompeii could be a very long day. Close to Rome, and easy to reach, is Ostia Antica. For description and practicalities: http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel...Rome-BR-1.html
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 02:47 PM

Yes Ostia Antica is in many ways IME even a nicer experience than Pompeii and is on Rome's door step - short metro ride. Guides at the entrance.
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 02:48 PM

I think a Florence day trip is doable but Pompeii/Naples would be a long day trip for your kids. I agree with the last post about going to Ostia Antica instead.
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 02:48 PM

That link to information on La Specola doesn't seem to work properly. This should be better: www.atlasobscura.com/places/la-specola
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 02:50 PM

Pompeii is not a long day trip from Rome.

It is 1 hour 10 min Rome to Naples on high speed rail, then take the local train to Pompeii (about 50 minutes).

In any case I don't see where the OP asked about Pompeii?

If you want to see Naples, the aforementioned high speed rail will take you there. Then take Metro Line 1 to either Toledo or Dante metro stops - this is the Historic Centre - so much to see there. Did you have specific plans? It's a great city for kids.
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 12:58 PM

In any case I don't see where the OP asked about Pompeii?>

Nope but maybe OP did not realize it was so close kind of and it were a suggestion kids may enjoy better than a parade of churches and indoor museums.

kids 8 and 10 will soon be studying Pomepii in school - never hurts to suggest alternatives to things - what is the harm in that? None of course that I can think of.
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 01:50 PM

<<a parade of churches and indoor museums>>

If that is all you think Naples has then you have clearly never been there.

Pompeii looks like a pile of crumbling buildings - which it is - without a lot of prior information or a really good guide, kids would find it huge, hot and confusing, especially in mid August when the OP plans to go. Pompeii will be a furnace.
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 02:25 PM

I have been to Naples several times- so what is there for kids 8-10 to enjoy there besides museums and churches and gelato?

I love Naples but on a day trip you gravitate to the main sights - I guess taking the old funicular would be fun but what would kids enjoy in Naples - the historic centre is cool but may be blase to kids that age? - they may not enjoy Pompeii either but it is a world-famous sight they will study about later, etc.

anyway they have 5 total days in Rome - I'd do a day trip to Florence then spend the rest of the time in Rome but not two too long day trips.

anyway don't mean to be confrontational - mainly thinking of the kids. For adults Naples to me is far more interesting as a city than even Florence - a rare city these days with laundry strung between buildings over narrow lanes - looking still like most Italian cities looked when I first went to Italy eons ago. And yes if boiling hot Pompeii with little shade as Pompeii is likely to be in August, can be barely tolerable - especially with all the tons of other visitors.

Naples of course, just a few miles away would also be uncomfy hot but you can find shade there for a respite or a gelato.
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 03:03 PM

What is there for kids to do in Florence apart from art and churches?

Examples of things in Naples for kids aged 8 and 10 - the subterranean underworld of Napoli Sotteranea, the Pignasecca markets, the Catacombs of San Gennaro, three castles within a stone's throw from one another. I think that will do for now - not a church or museum in sight.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/italy/ca...li-sotterranea

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/italy/ca.../la-pignasecca

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/italy/ca...di-san-gennaro

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/italy/ca...s/castel-nuovo
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 03:40 PM

Well I was wrong about Naples and kids! Sounds like a great place for them and adults.
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 04:02 PM

Wherever they go will probably be as hot as Hades. Make sure you pack sunscreen, hats and plenty of water.
Old Jul 7th, 2016, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your wonderful suggestions. Yes, my kids are 9 and almost 11. We are in Rome for a total of 5 days and were planning to mix things up a bit and take a day trip Florence. Based on the your feedback, will give Naples a pass.

While we are at it, are there any specific things that would appeal to kids in Rome? We are planning to check out all the obvious touristy spots.
Old Jul 7th, 2016, 10:50 PM

<Based on your feedback we will give Naples a pass>

What 'feedback' enticed you to go to Florence, where your young kids will see nothing but Renaissance art - fine if that's their thing. I just read thorough the posts above and nothing sells Florence to me (and I love the place).

Specific things that would appeal to kids in Rome - not knowing your kids and what they like - I could suggest the Time Elevator near Piazza Venezia which is a bit cheesy but fun (historically inaccurate in parts but this is not an undergraduate course in history).
http://www.time-elevator.it/?lang=en

You could also try the Capuchin Crypt - but not if they find bones scary - some kids find it all fascinating.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attra...ome_Lazio.html

There is also the Domus Romane at Palazzo Valentini
http://www.palazzovalentini.it/domus.../index-en.html

And, for the hale and hearty - a walk to the top of the dome at St. Peter's Basilica. This blog post explains in detail what it's like.
https://delightfullyitaly.com/2013/1...asilicas-dome/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -