Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Airplane snack options for bottomless preggo lady?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In lieu of morning sickness, I'm having insane nonstop hunger -- not that I'm complaining! However, this should make my flight to Europe this week interesting, since I can't go more than two hours without eating. I need some tasty snack options to keep my sugar level and my baby sated so I don't wind up eating my own arm Snacks need to fit the following criteria:

1) Won't spoil on a six-hour flight or on the three-hour car/train odyssey getting to the airport.

2) Not too sugary.

3) Won't get confiscated by TSA agent.

Beyond PBJ and oatmeal bars, I'm uninspired...any suggestions would be much appreciated!!
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 08:15 AM

I'd recommend protein, like individually-wrapped cheese sticks or wedges, as it will help keep you from getting hungry again so fast, and it will help keep your blood sugar more even. In addition, you can buy food at the airport after you have gone through security, so you don't have to worry about carrying it to the airport and getting it past TSA.
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 08:18 AM

Chex® Party Mix - tasty variety of flavors and textures. Make your own, or buy pre-bagged. No problem in carry-on.

Downside: lots and lots of sodium in the bagged versions. If you make your own, you can cut it way down. Recipes here: http://www.chex.com/Recipes/RecipeVi...Id=343&t=1

We like the Hot'n'Spicy flavor, which we call Tex Mex Chex Mix.
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 08:27 AM

How about some trail mix? With raisins, nuts, m&ms, etc. -- salty and sweet. Will keep forever.

www.hereinfranklin.wordpress.com
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 08:27 AM

Agree with the suggestion of cheese...you can buy those individually wrapped string cheese snacks and they pack well.

Also think nuts (such as almonds) would be good for you.

Protein is key...keep away from the sugary stuff and you'll be satisified longer.
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 09:04 AM

Follow your body's cues. For example, if you get a craving for a banana, it's because your baby is saying "hey, we need some more potassium down here!"
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions! Will the string cheese go bad over the course of a day? And the nuts are a great idea -- I love cashews and didn't think of them.

Robespierre...I normally do obey my cravings, but unfortunately for a flight, I can't do much more than make predictions!
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 09:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi karameli,

don't forget that both flying and eating will make you thirsty.

you can buy water to take on the plane once you're through security.

also fruit like melon, pineapple, apple and pear can be very refreshing and should escape confiscation.

regards, ann
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 10:49 AM

Try the Julia Child special: peanut butter with bananas on whole wheat.
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 11:02 AM

All cheeses will be fine on a 10 hour or so flight. Over here in Europe we keep all but the really wet runny cheeses at room temperature for a whole day if we are planning on having them for dinner.
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 11:07 AM

Hi karameli,

Try fig newtons or meal-replacement bars.

Good luck!

s
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 11:12 AM
LJ

Those teensy carrots are really useful. My fave when I was pregnant were Sesame Snaps which have the added benefit of being tiny and virtually weightless.
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 11:19 AM

If you're worried about the cheese then pack it with one of those freezer packs that you put in coolers. Can't remember what they're called but mine are blue!

I usually find them useful while on vacation to keep picnic items cool or to cool a swollen ankle or you name it! Of course they're not so useful if you don't have a refrigerator wherever you're staying lol.
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 11:42 AM
LJ

Would you be permitted to carry one of those gel pack cooler things on a plane?
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 11:49 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I am fairly certain you can't take a gel ice pack on the plane.

Cashews (bought at the airport) are my usual emergency staple.

Any kind of trail mix, dried fruits, or fresh fruit (apples), work nicely too.

Various energy and snack bars work fine (Luna, Lara's, etc.). Small boxes or packs of crackers like ritz or wheat thins.

A normal sandwich is good for at least several hours without refrigeration (I buy from Starbucks at the airport).

Individually packages string cheese or cheddar is OK also fine even when it gets a bit warm.

Old Oct 6th, 2008, 11:49 AM

My mother brought those little Nab crackers (at least that is what we New Englanders call them). The little rye crackers with peanut butter in them. You can get the fluorescent orange crackers with PB too. I love those but who knows what they are really made of.
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 11:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
A sandwich-sized baggie filled with lightly steamed then chilled vegetables (green beans, asparagus) or raw vegetables (celery, cuke, carrot sticks).
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 12:15 PM

I have taken the hard plastic sealed gel packs on the plane (while frozen).
This doesn't mean that they're allowed just that mine haven't been confiscated. Too late for you but the rules regarding liquids are being relaxed towards the end of 2009....
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 12:48 PM

My mom always makes me a fabulous trail mix before I leave on a big trip (yes, I'm 26, but I'll never turn down food from mom!). She loads it with almonds, cashews, macadmias, raisens/craisens, and big ol' dark chocolate chips. She gave my husband and I a huge bag before we left for Italy and we ate it on the flight, as a snack after a long day, snacking by the pool...throw in whatever your favorite things are and the nuts and dark chocolate are healthy!
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the ideas!! Went to the food store and loaded up on those orange PB crackers, some bananas (might try that sandwich!), oatmeal bars, and Clifs. Hopefully that should do the trick!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -