Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

AirOne airline for flights within Italy - or any other suggestions for flights from Sicily to Milan

AirOne airline for flights within Italy - or any other suggestions for flights from Sicily to Milan

Apr 10th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

I've found flights for decent prices (€63-72) on Meridiana and Airone Airlines. I'm going from Sicily to Milan. Anyone have any experience with either of these airlines - or know of any other airline that flys from Sicily (other than Alitalia which wants $350 for a one way flight).
Apr 10th, 2005, 04:29 PM
cmt

I think AIRONE = "airone," not "air one." I know that doesn't answer your question, but I just think it's interesting because "airone" is the word for "heron" in Italian. Airone's logo is a heron, too. (Maybe it also means "air one" as a play on words.)

Are you flying from North American? The times that I've flown from/to Newark to/from Palermo or Catania via Rome or Milan, I've always booked the mainland-to-Sicily and back legs of my flights at the same time as the USA-to/from-Italy flights. Going from mainland Italy to Sicily and from Sicily to mainland added only $100 to the cost of my flight.

I hope someone answers your question.
Apr 10th, 2005, 04:35 PM

I've flown Air One and have reserved with them again.

In addition to Meridiana, there is Windjet:

http://w3.volawindjet.it/

(Mind you, I cannot guarantee that any of these airlines will not have gone bankrupt by the time you want to fly...)
Apr 10th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I checked windjet and they are even less than the ohters - 61€. So now I have three to choose from, the prices and times are close enough that I'll choose whichever airline has the best reputation - but that is proving hard to determine. Windjet isn't rated on the rating site either (although it's name is there, there just aren't any comments or listing for it). Eloise, since you have flown them and have reserved them again I guess I'll take that as a positive review. My flight will be in July, I assume you were (mostly) kidding with that remark about going bankrupt?

cmt - I did check Alitalia when I booked the Newark to Palermo and Zurich to Newark roundtrip flight. But putting in that third leg added over $400 so I figured this way would be best.
Apr 10th, 2005, 05:46 PM

Yes, I was joking, sort of...

But it wasn't and isn't Windjet that I'm flying; it's Air One.

Air One may be a tiny bit less risky because it is a "partner" (not that I'm sure I know what that means) of Lufthansa, which is one of the wealthier European airlines (they just bought Swiss International).
Apr 10th, 2005, 06:18 PM
cmt

<< But putting in that third leg added over $400>>

That's terrible!
Apr 10th, 2005, 11:27 PM

We have flown windjet twice, once to Milan and once to Rome with other family members having used them also. No problems, very basic but for a short time works well. We did book through a local agency here and paid 10 euro more just in case of flight time changes or incidents, then they would have helped us out. Turns out it wasn't necessary but we did it for peace of mind. We have also flown Medridiana without glitches. Hope this helps. (Our last trip on Windjet was last month).
Apr 11th, 2005, 07:30 AM
GAC

Wind Jet has a much shorter history than either Air One or Meridiana, which have been operating much longer (in case this has any relevance). Also, Wind Jet has a very small fleet (6 Airbus 320s), whereas Air One has 30 737s and Meridiana has 21 jets. Alitalia has 193 jets (including 23 widebodies).
Apr 11th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Actually, GAC, knowing about number of planes does help. So I guess I'll give Air One a try.

It does help to know that people have flown all these. Since I had never heard of any of them until I started this research I was a little worried. And mousireid, knowing that you have flown the other two makes me feel better in case once I get to booking it, Air One doesn't workout for some reason.

That's what's great about this site, ask a question and you get useful info. Thanks