Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Airlines: Provence to Florence to Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/airlines-provence-to-florence-to-paris-1697956/)

lrice Jun 6th, 2021 03:46 PM

Airlines: Provence to Florence to Paris

Hi all,

Our trip to Aix-en-Provence is getting closer so I am starting to put together some more details. We would like to travel from Aix to Florence to visit our daughter a few days, then to Paris as our flight back to the U.S. departs from CDG.

Does anyone know what airlines fly these routes these days? Or what’s the best way for me to research?

Thank you!

dreamon Jun 6th, 2021 08:42 PM

Try skyscanner for suggestions. But it does sound as though you're dodging around a lot. Is it possible to re-order your itinerary to reduce the number of flights?

Tulips Jun 6th, 2021 09:03 PM

Try rome2rio.com to find the beste way to get from A to B.

lrice Jun 6th, 2021 09:38 PM

We are spending four weeks in Aix first, then going to see our daughter before we head back to the US. Yes, it’s a little dodgy that last week. I’ll try both sites, thank you!

Traveler_Nick Jun 6th, 2021 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by lrice (Post 17249201)
Hi all,

Our trip to Aix-en-Provence is getting closer so I am starting to put together some more details. We would like to travel from Aix to Florence to visit our daughter a few days, then to Paris as our flight back to the U.S. departs from CDG.

!

Don't limit yourself to Florence airport. It's small and not really served well. Look at both Pisa only an hour by train to Florence or even the two Rome airports. A bit further but much much more choice.

Use Google flights to search. Plenty of shady third parties on Skyscanner IMHO. No matter how you search book direct with the airline.

You'll be looking at smaller planes Likely either a 737 (Ryanair) or A320 . Make your life easier by traveling carry on only. Make sure your baggage fits the rules. Most of the airlines you might be looking at tend to be strict.

lrice Jun 6th, 2021 10:38 PM

Hi Nick,

I didn’t find anything from Marseilles to Pisa but I found Bologna and Rome! Is one easier to catch the train to Florence?

Traveler_Nick Jun 7th, 2021 12:15 AM

Six of one and half dozen of the other. It's the same highspeed line. The train from Rome stops in Florence and then in Bologna. It'll then complete the rest of the route before turning around and heading back south. Some go all the way to Venice. Some to Milan. A few to Turin. But I don't think any skip Bologna. There is a Rome Milan express (or there was) but that's a small number of daily runs.

What I would ask is which Rome airport? FCO is easier. CIA a bit more of a pain. There are actually normally a small number of trains direct from FCO to Florence but from CIA you'll likely take either the bus to Termini or a cab.

Rome is my home airport but I doubt you'll have any trouble with Bologna.

bilboburgler Jun 7th, 2021 03:37 AM

I'd start with rome 2 rio but I'd not trust it and then click through or use Google as Nick says.

lrice Jun 7th, 2021 07:26 AM

Thank you!

It looks like there is shuttle from BLQ to the train station then a 37 minute train ride every hour.

I like the idea of a train straight from FCO to Florence (with no transfer) but I only see one a day on Rome to Rio.

Traveler_Nick Jun 7th, 2021 08:28 AM

Taking the regional train to Tiburtina and then catching the train to Florence is fairly easy.

But it is 90minutes from Rome to Florence.

Christina Jun 7th, 2021 08:47 AM

I use skyscanner also. Whether parties are shady or not is irrelevant to me as I just use it to find schedules. I would do the same thing with Google if I used them, which I don't.

I mainly use Easyjet within Europe, really like them but sometimes HOP in France. Don't fly from Aix, it doesn't have any major airport. They don't have short flights like that, I think that isn't profitable for airlines like that (to fly from say MRS to Florence). Now they dso fly from Pisa to ORY, I think. Which is better than having to fly into CDG.

lrice Jun 9th, 2021 09:53 PM

Thanks Christina. It looks like Marseilles to Bologna will get us to Florence easy enough. Then we can take Vueling from Florence to Orly.

J62 Jun 10th, 2021 02:40 AM

Florence airport is super easy to get to from the city - no more than about a 10min taxi ride. There's also a light rail that runs directly to the airport with departures every ~15min or so all day. Air conditioned and very comfortable.

FLR is the smallest airport I've ever been at - so small there is no taxiway for the planes, just the runway.