Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   airlines (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/airlines-497198/)

Ryansean Jan 21st, 2005 09:40 AM

airlines

i found the same price, times etc for flights to paris on three different airlines: airfrance, delta and american airlines. does anyone recommend one over the others?

JN Jan 21st, 2005 09:49 AM

If your flying economy and legroom is the most important element for you, check to see if the American plane still has "More room throughout" coach seating. If so, you might take AA.

Patrick Jan 21st, 2005 09:49 AM

Of the three, I'm only familiar with American. But from everything I've read and the many, many complaints I see here about Delta and about Airfrance, I have no intention of trying either. I'm very happy with American.

Patrick Jan 21st, 2005 09:51 AM

Ooops. I just thought. If the times and price are the same, is this possibly a code share? Check to see whose plane it really is. I'd rather be on an American plane than just an American flight that is actually code shared on an Airfrance flight.

suec1 Jan 21st, 2005 09:53 AM

Airfrance and Delta code share - it may well be the same flight. If the flight is actually operated by Delta you pay for wine, liquor etc. On Airfrance I think it is still complimentary. The seat configurations may be different. I like to fly Delta over and return on AirFrance. I think the AirFrance planes usually have the individual video units for the seats.

jeffwill4you Jan 21st, 2005 09:55 AM

We are Skymiles members so we always fly
Delta. Round trip LAX to CDG $1,289.00
May 18 return May 27 Delta I think does a good job. try to miss atlanta or chicago with Delta because its a nightmare try to go non stop.

111op Jan 21st, 2005 09:57 AM

I just flew Delta in October (for the very first time in many years), and I didn't like them at all. Then Air France was on my black list because of their inflexibility on a trip in 2003.

I'd go with American also.

Alainuk Mar 31st, 2006 01:39 AM

I am probably one of the thousands who sit cramped and uncomfortable each time we fly because our legs are too long and the seat area far too small.
Consequently we arrive at destination with bad back and very stressed
We use American Airlines as they have a standard 34inch seat pitch. Booking online you save money.
Lots of my friends here have gone to Europe with diffrent Euopean airlines and no one has said anything bad. They've all said efficient, no delays.

Barbara_in_CT Mar 31st, 2006 02:05 AM

I flew Air France in March non-stop from JFK to Paris and had a very pleasant trip in both directions. They still provide wine and have individual videos.

If Paris is your ultimate destination, they are fine. If you must make a CDG connection, they schedule them far too close together so that you either miss the connection or are herded at a run to your connection. Neither is particularly pleasant.

wally34949 Mar 31st, 2006 03:17 AM

Check to see what type of aircraft they are using. Look for the Boeing 777, 747 or Airbus A330 or A340.

Stay away from the Northwest DC10; can you imagine they still fly those and the 767's are showing their age, too. Continental flies a few 757's across the pond--one isle--a very small plane.

American charges $2 for earphones and $5 for beer, wine and hard drinks in coach. The rest of the U.S. airlines charge $5 for drinks.

I started flying British Airways because they have the individual television monitors in coach, they don't edit their movies so much--if at all, free drinks in coach and the food isn't bad.

On American, the will edit the word "SEX" on "2 1/2 Men" and they will "give" you a snack pack to eat.

ira Mar 31st, 2006 03:38 AM

Of the 3, I prefer AF.

((I))

rkkwan Mar 31st, 2006 04:31 AM

I have no idea why this thread is revived, but I will say that AF's coach seat on their new 777-300ER is probably the most comfortable coach seat I've sat on. The bottom seat cushion moves forward when you recline your seatback, and the footrest is actually somewhat useable (at least for the shorter persons).

And with the 3-3-3 seating on a wide 777, their seats have slightly wider armrest (instead of having wider aisles). Helpful for arm and shoulder room when the middle seat is occupied.

Good enterntainment selection, but it's not AVOD (a/v on demand). Still it'll be better than DL/AA.

viaggio_sempre Mar 31st, 2006 04:53 AM

rkkwan - It looks like AlainUK is a new poster on this site and while doing research for an upcoming trip (which is a highly positive thing) topped this old thread which may or may not contain outdated info.

I checked some of her other postings and her headings are complete and specific, another positive thing.

It is good to note for others though that some of the info in this thread may be outdated.

VS :-"

wally34949 Mar 31st, 2006 05:18 AM

Northwest Airlines is flying planes that were built in 1966. This thread started on Jan. 21, 2005--14 months isn't that old--especially to NWA.

francophile03 Mar 31st, 2006 05:37 AM

I'd choose AF also. I haven't flown a US based airline lately to France. At CDG is it AF that always does another secondary security search when passengers are going to the plane or is it standard for all airlines? It seems stupid to me to do another search when the airport security already checked you beforehand and AF also does random security checks at checkin as well.

rkkwan Mar 31st, 2006 06:50 AM

It's very common at airports around the world to rescreen passengers for international transit, even if one's not entering the country. They do it in Hong Kong, Tokyo, etc... Nothing out of the ordinary at CDG.

And at SIN and AMS, everybody goes through security just before boarding an international flight. So, security check is often unavoidable, regardless of where you change planes.

francophile03 Mar 31st, 2006 07:48 AM

If they rescreened everyone prior to boarding it would be fair. However, at CDG, for example, it's not like this. Who is picked out of the line to be rescreened is based on whomever the screener wants to screen. It seems stupid to me to do it randomly.

wally34949 Mar 31st, 2006 07:55 AM

As long as my bottle of red wine doesn't open on the X-ray machine and soak my carryon and the line keeps moving, I can deal with it. The last time I was left with pink underware. At least in Europe you don't have to take off your shoes and moon everyone when you put them back on.

francophile03 Mar 31st, 2006 07:59 AM

Speaking of mooning thank God that shoe bomber guy, Richard Reed, didn't think of putting the explosive (?!) in his underwear instead. I don't want to think of the kind of security checks they would be performing today.

wally34949 Mar 31st, 2006 08:01 AM

Do you remember when Andy Rooney said, perhaps we should make everyone fly in the nude. We could put the men in the front, the women in the back, and the gays in the middle.