Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Airline reservations: how soon is too soon? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/airline-reservations-how-soon-is-too-soon-99111/)

Shanna Jan 8th, 2001 04:48 AM

Airline reservations: how soon is too soon?

Greetings all. In planning a May trip to Paris, I've found air fares around $500, but wonder if there are problems with reserving (and paying for) tickets this far in advance. Anyone have advice/experience? Thanks!

Beth Anderson Jan 8th, 2001 04:50 AM

hi, <BR> <BR>depending on where you are flying from, you should be able to get tix for less than that. I've flown Air France, Dulles to CDG, in late May (returning early June) and paid less than 400 including taxes... <BR> <BR>Beth

Brian in Atlanta Jan 8th, 2001 06:16 AM

I don't see any problem buying (and paying) that far in advance as long as you're either dealing directly with an airline or will have physical posession of the tickets. I would maybe avoid buying far in advance with any airline in significant financial trouble (though I don't think there currently are any flying to Europe). <BR> <BR>As for the price, if you are set on flying on certain days, I don't think $500 is excessive. For instance, to mazimize vacation days, we always fly out on a Friday and back on a Sunday. For that exact schedule, I'm willing to pay a bit more. Plus, it gives me more time to plan the other facets of the trip. Good luck.

Brian in Atlanta Jan 8th, 2001 07:19 AM

One correction to the above. Seems TWA may be filing bankruptcy soon in a planned effort to sell its assets to American. Widely reported rumor.

Sandi Jan 8th, 2001 08:42 AM

A question regarding the comment from Brian about TWA filing bankruptcy. If TWA does get bought out by American, will TWA Aviators frequent flier miles be nonusable? <BR> <BR>This is the airline I have used for trips to London and France, and I would hate to think I will lose those miles. <BR> <BR>Thanks for any further comments! <BR> <BR>Sandi <BR>

Shanna Jan 8th, 2001 09:42 AM

Beth and Brian: Thanks for your comments. My airfare quote was not for a gateway city - it included getting from nowhere (here) to Atlanta or Boston. And I didn't do a big sweep yet. And my hotel reservations (Hotel Muguet) are fixed. One my way to work this morning I heard about the TWA merger into, I thought it was, Delta and the complaints people have about that. I've been happy, Sandi, with TWA myself and regret losing another choice. United is already trying something with USAir but that's been going on for so long, who knows what it means. United had some really good fares this fall but I was reluctant to rely on them. Air France seems to be a fodorite favorite - surely they won't merge or go bankrupt!

AC Jan 8th, 2001 09:49 AM

Hi Shanna: <BR>I am a firm believer (LOL) that early is NEVER too early!!! Is that $500 inclusive of taxes etc? If it is, I would purchase them soon. I purchased tickets in August for my May trip and have watched the priced climb seadily ever since. The tickets are locked away just awaiting my departure. Just a thought, I checked various locations for prices, made sure it was not an "web special" then bought the ticket with the airline. They did not charge me extra for the ticket delivery. Have a great trip!

Beth Anderson Jan 8th, 2001 10:16 AM

Hi Shanna, <BR> <BR>if your 500 included getting to a gateway, then, I think you have good fares. I am lucky in that I live in metro DC. great fares to Europe! <BR> <BR>don't get me started about the merger of airlines. like, this is going to HELP consumers? <BR> <BR>I read this AM that the planned merger was to help address federal antitrust concerns - that United & USAir combined would be too big, so that they need another 'biggie' to compete - hey, why don't the two left, gobble the rest up, have 2 big airlines, and then we'll all be happy! <BR> <BR>HA HA HA what a joke. anyone here ever remember the price fixing fiasco? the class action suit? I remember being eligible for MANY MANY coupons. for 5, 10, 25 dollars each! what a boon to travelers that was. more like the 'relief act of 1990' for lawyers. (or whatever year that was, that it happened). <BR> <BR>sorry about the rant. <BR> <BR>Beth

Judy Jan 8th, 2001 11:37 AM

Well Shanna, let me tell you story(just kidding), but I thought I would let you know what happened to me! You see it was like this; before Thanksgiving, BA had a "shoppers special" to London 469$ rt air, 3days hotel(tourist class +extra 3 more days additional),gift Cert100$ for Harrod's + Cont'l bkfst. I Thought it was a good deal, till the cheaper air fare and hotels started to roll in! I think I could have done better had I waited. Moral of the story, I guess there really is none except I was fortunate my husband was in a quasi-holiday mood, and I was able to talk him into an "extra trip". That, is probably the biggest plus to the whole thing.....should I have waited well they are having excellent hotel deal too in London, so go figure. Who knows yes? ;-) Judy

Brian in Atlanta Jan 8th, 2001 11:59 AM

Sandi, and excerpt from a Yahoo news story: <BR> <BR>And industry analysts agree that the winners in the proposed merger will be the TWA ticket holders, many of whom have risked not having their tickets honored while the beleaguered carrier goes in and out of solvency. <BR> <BR>``TWA customers will like being in a bigger network,'' said Randy Petersen, editor and publisher of Inside Flyer magazine, a magazine for members of frequent flier programs. ``TWA is currently partnered with Royal Jordanian and Air India, so I think they'll like American's (code share) opportunities.'' <BR> <BR>TWA frequent flier miles will be honored by American under the merger, Petersen said. <BR> <BR>

bella Jan 8th, 2001 12:08 PM

OMG! The fares you Americans can get away with! Being an Aussie is great in many respects but not this one. Our standard European fares are closer to $2000. Now you know why we stay so long when we get there. Have fun everyone.

Emma Jan 8th, 2001 08:33 PM

I am going to London at the end of May and have been eyeing a specific flight/airline and checking the fares for the past five months and unfortunately, I just found that the flight I want is sold out! unless I want to pay for a higher class. Ugh! My experience advises you not to wait unless you're very flexible about the carrier and flight time.

Marcos Velez Jan 8th, 2001 08:56 PM

Well, I am not sure what to tell you other than I am usually against paying much more than 400 for any trip to Europe. I have flown to Ireland for 373 r/t (incl taxes) and 372 to Rome (incl taxes) both with British Airways. My last trip to Ireland was more expensive (462, but I got my tickets three weeks before going there!). I have flown to London several times for about 400. Paying 500 dollars IS NOT excessive, and given the fact that you must first get to a gateway city sounds like a reasonable price. The thing with buying too early is you might miss out on potential airfare "wars" or other sales...