Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Airline help from USA to France (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/airline-help-from-usa-to-france-732719/)

LLindaC Aug 29th, 2007 09:07 AM

Airline help from USA to France

I'm embarrassed to ask this on Fodor's. I've flown recently to Germany and Austria and Switzerland, but haven't been to France in ages. We're ( DH and 2 DDs) going in June and I have no clue where to start on airline tickets. I will probably have free SW tickets to anywhere in the US, so I can fly from any city.
Any suggestions about when to buy airline tickets and who offers the best rates from where? I suppose we'll be flying to Paris, taking train to St Florins for Burgundy Canal cruise, then back to Paris for city fix. We're leaving June 1.

Christina Aug 29th, 2007 09:15 AM

For the laste few years, I usually buy them directly from the airline on their website. I have bought one on Expedia because it split carriers.

Are you asking where to check for fares? I use www.kayak.com, www.itasoftware.com and www.expedia.com to start with, as well as the specific airlines' website I'm interested in. There aren't that many airlines flying to one location that I will consider, so it doesn't take that long. For France, I would only check Air France and United probably -- at least from where I live.

Dukey Aug 29th, 2007 09:20 AM

I would agree with looking on www.itasoftware.com and using the "month-long" feature.

Prices will obviously depend on many factors to include the amount of competition an airline has on a particular route to Paris.

I would not necessarily count on using those SW tickets for a connection, especially if you can find a conveniently-priced ticket and departure from your home airport.

It wouldn't hurt for you to tell us where you ideally would like to fly from as every bit of information canbe helpful.

LLindaC Aug 29th, 2007 09:59 AM

I use kayak a lot; that's how I found my cheapo tickets last year. I guess what I mean is that there are some awesome deals, such as LTU , which flew one flight from JFK to Munich for $600. So, I used my FF to go to LGA and we took a shuttle there. Piece of cake as long as you have time, and most international flights are in the evening anyway. So, seriously, Dukey< I could fly from NY, Chicago, etc. My home airport is Louisville (SDF) I think I bought our tickets in January last year..

ira Aug 29th, 2007 10:04 AM

HI LL,

I think that you will get best rates from NYC to Paris.

It's still rather early for June.

((I))

ira Aug 29th, 2007 10:06 AM

PS,

www.kayak.com has $676 on AirIndia for EWR/CDG nonstop in mid June.

LLindaC Aug 29th, 2007 10:14 AM

Yes, Ira, I saw that! Air India??? Would YOU do it?

Dukey Aug 29th, 2007 10:27 AM

Are you willing to leave in mid-June????

ira Aug 29th, 2007 11:05 AM

Hi LL,

>Air India??? Would YOU do it?

You asked, "Any suggestions about when to buy airline tickets and who offers the best rates from where"?

$676 is a very, very good price.

If you now want to get finicky about the accomodations..... :)

((I))

LLindaC Aug 29th, 2007 11:47 AM

I know it's a good price...but I've never heard a thing about Air India. No, I can't leave mid-June, we've rented the boat from June 2-9. I'm still searching for the right hotel/rooms in Paris. Do you think we'll be ready to kill the teenagers after a week on a houseboat? At least we can drink while driving, lol!

Christina Aug 29th, 2007 12:09 PM

If you can't take it, it's sort of moot anyway -- but no, I would not take Air India to France. I pay more for airlines I like and convenience of nonstop or schedules. If you've ever read posts from people who've taken Air India to France, I don't think you'd do it. I seem to recall a lot of complaints. Now my newphewIL took Singapore Airlines to Europe and that was great!!! But I don't think they go to France-- I think it was NYC to Germany or somewhere like that.