Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Airline Food continued: Can you BYOB? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/airline-food-continued-can-you-byob-202060/)

Ronda Apr 18th, 2002 07:23 PM

Airline Food continued: Can you BYOB?

Is it ok to bring on your own wine to drink in flight? I really don't like the wine they serve in coach. If so, what size is allowable? How about champagne?

David Apr 18th, 2002 07:33 PM

I believe the answer is no. You're not allowed to drink any alcohol other than what they serve you, to avoid letting people get drunk and uncontrollable.<BR><BR>My experience is that they enforce this strictly, although maybe it varies by airline and flight crew

Freecia Apr 18th, 2002 07:37 PM

Ahem, while I do know it is legal...<BR>Alcohol 30% more potent in the air and inebriated passengers are a big cause of air rage.<BR>If you really want to crash, just take some melatonin and you'll arrive refreshed instead of hung over. Melatonin helps you sleep and from what I have read, works fairly well.<BR>If you really want to celebrate, take a small bottle. Pommoroy Pop makes cute little ones that you can share with someone else for 1 glass each. It's a screw on cap so you don't need to bring a bottle opener.<BR>If all this doesn't deter your from bringing a Franzia box (or rather your fave bottle of wine) just THINK about lugging it through the whole airport and down the airplane galley. Just lose those 3 pounds.

Lisa Apr 18th, 2002 10:22 PM

Extra weight? Depends on your priorities! My husband and I carried seven bottles of French wine home from Paris last week in our carry-ons (whose contents we'd emptied into our checked suitcase to make more room). <BR><BR>We didn't drink any on the plane, but when we pop some of that good stuff open this summer, all that lugging around will be well worth it.<BR><BR>Lisa

Carson Apr 18th, 2002 10:29 PM

I like the way you think, Lisa. When are we tasting the first one?

freecia Apr 18th, 2002 11:16 PM

Well, bringing home wine is a different story, isn't it? ;)<BR>My point is that there's no need to expressedly bring a bottle of your own wine because you don't like the airline's wine. Or at least not a full bottle. :)<BR>And I understand this point of view. My parents brought back at least 3 bottles of Ice wine from Canada.

Dominic Apr 19th, 2002 12:39 AM

Message Lisa: Forgive my ignorance but is it not possible to buy decent french (or italian, spannish etc) wine back home in the US? wouldn't that be simpler? Nip down the off-liscence that's what i say!

slider Apr 19th, 2002 05:58 PM

<BR>If you bring your own, don't flaunt it and laugh it off if one of the stewardesses happens to see you making a pour. Before and after they make their appointed rounds it is difficult to get any attention even if you turn on the call light.

Ronda Apr 19th, 2002 08:52 PM

The wine provided is OK but I like to bring a small amount of some decent wine to drink - like one glass each. It is just fun to do. I have used a plastic green soda bottle in the past.