Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Airline bankruptcies possible in spite of cheap fares?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 10:27 AM
MHS

Go to Fodor's American forum & read this message:Airline bankruptcies possible in spite of cheap fares?<BR>There's a wonderfully delightful description under "If Airlines Sold Paint"<BR><BR>

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Jette

That was my thread and Fodors apparently pulled it. I have NO idea why, there was no foul language and while I quoted USA Today, I did not cut/paste. Who's in bed with whom around this board??

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Maybe

Maybe it was pulled because "If Airlines Sold Paint" was a big chunk of coyrighted material reprinted without giving credit, which is illegal. But still, they didn't have to pull the whole thread.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 02:11 PM
Wayne

Rather than "bankruptcies possible in spite of cheap fares," I think it should be "bankruptcies certain because of cheap fares." Airlines eventually have to show a profit, and right now they aren't doing very well. Cheap fares don't make a profit. US Airways negotiated a terrific deal with their pilots' union to reduce pilots' salaries by twenty-plus percent, probably saving the airline from bankruptcy. So there are lots of ways to deal with the cost of doing business, and even more ways for them to go broke.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Travis

If a large chunk of material was lifted from another source, it probably was the copyright issue. You can't print copyrighted material without permission, it doesn't matter if you give credit or not. YOu don't own the material and can't decide when and where to publish it, the owner can. I can't reprint and distribute a book and "give credit" on the flyleaf to make it okay. If it was only a few words, it was probably okay but Fodor's errs on the side of deleting other's material rather than testing legalities or running it past their lawyer (who can blame them). Sounds like someone else put something in the thread that was long and not original. Sometimes I think they don't want to go to the trouble of editing only some posts with objectionable material rather than pulling the whole thread, I think it depends how busy they are or is just random.<BR><BR>That paint thing has been around a long time, anyway, they even read it on Click and Clack on NPR. Funny but irrelevant as paint is a product and an airline seat is a perishable service.