Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

airfares through consolidators or auction sites?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 01:20 PM
Beth Anderson

Hi all, <BR> <BR>I am trying to find info on auctions or consolidators, to try my luck on flight prices. a co-worker tells me a friend just got a RT ticket to London for 250, in SEPTEMBER but she doesn't know where/how (but I have instructed her to ASK!!) <BR> <BR>I did a brief search of this site. I have come up with, for auctions: <BR> <BR>www.bidtripper.com <BR> <BR>skyauction.com <BR> <BR>of course priceline.com <BR> <BR>Washington Post tells me that icelandairauction.com is good. I think there is an airhitch out there? <BR> <BR>onsale.com too maybe? <BR> <BR>bestfares.com? <BR> <BR>I have also heard good things about <BR>www.eurotrip.com <BR> <BR> <BR>for consolidators, this site says: <BR> <BR>www.oconnors.com is good. <BR> <BR>I have not done a very extensive search yet, but I was wondering if anyone would like to add to this list... or even add stories to it (good/bad/ugly) <BR> <BR>thanks! <BR> <BR>Beth

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 02:37 PM
Robin K

- <BR>Beth: <BR> <BR>I've looked at 'Sky Auction' on several occasions since May. And even placed a few bids. However, they items I was looking at (U.S. to Italy and Texas to CA) quickly seemed to escalate in price past the point of being a good deal. It made me wonder whether the other participants really didn't know the value, as they could have purchased tickets for close to the same price direct from airlines without the date restrictions or unknown factor -- OR if 'Sky Auction' is purposely jacking up the price. <BR>

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 06:43 AM
carolyn

We booked a trip into Frankfurt with a return from Paris to visit our daughter and her family when our son-in-law was stationed at Baumholder, Germany. We used a consolidator, Council Travel, in Bloomington, IN, phone 812-330-1600. We saved about $200 each over regular airfare but had to fly from KY to Dallas to begin the flight to Frankfurt. The trip was via American Airlines, but I think it just depends on what they have available.

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 06:53 AM
chris

I leave for Germany next week. I booked my tickets through the consolidator 1travel.com. <BR> <BR>I saved $250 per ticket off of everything else I could find after a very long search.

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 07:57 AM
Paul

I too bought my tickets through "1travel.com". They were the cheapest I could find, although "tiss.com" was close. I liked using 1travel, especially because when you actually buy the tickets, you can call an 800 number and give your credit card over the phone, rather than online. You have to call within 1 hour of making the reservation. I had my tickets in hand 48 hours later - great service!

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 10:44 AM
Lesli

Bought my last tickets through economytravel.com (though cheaptickets.com and tiss.com had more or less the same flights/fares available.) <BR> <BR>After the fact, I found out about a service called discount airfares.com, which for some reason is actually at: http://www.etn.nl/ You tell them when/where you want to go, and what the lowest fare you've found is, and they send your request to 5 travel agents. The agents then contact you with their offers. I received 4 e-mail responses by the next day, all of which were slightly cheaper than what I'd found (though not non-stop.) Will definitely try this again for my next trip.

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 11:45 AM
xxx

I leave on Thursday for Marseille. I purchased my tickets through Twin World Travel in NYC 212-869-4717. Sorry I don't have the toll free number, though I know they have one. They saved me more than $350 over the list price for my tickets. One thing to be aware of when buying discount tickets, they may be nonendorsable, which means that if your flight is cancelled, you will in all likelihood not be put on another airline and will have to wait for the next available flight on your airline, which could be a very long wait. Still, with the amount of money I saved and the good record of Sabena, it seems worth it to me.