Reload this Page >

Only 3 days in Madrid. Help! No time for mistakes

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 10:41 PM
Alysa

I am traveling with my family of 6 in Sept. for a short visit to Spain. We have chosen Madrid and we only have 3 days and 3 nights. Please help me make the most of our time there. My kids are 13,16,18 & 20...very good travelers...like to go and do! What should we see? What should we avoid. From the Forum it sounds like Toledo is a must. thanks a bunch. Alysa

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 01:27 AM
Maira

My best friend & family (kids 13 & 18)just came back from Spain. Main highlights (per the kids) were Parque del Retiro, walking around Plaza de los Cibeles and Gran Via, tour of the Royal Palace, Plaza Mayor in the evenings, El Corte Ingles (stores; one at Puerta del Sol) for great clothing, tour of the Royal Palace, driving to the countryside to see El Valle de los Caidos (Valley of the Fallen) near El Escorial Palace and Avila. Hope this helps.

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 07:23 AM
Alysa

Thanks, it helps alot. Any word on Toledo?

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 07:36 AM
Marion

In Madrid: in addition to the Plaza & the Palace: the Prado. Definately side trip to El Escorial & Valley of the Fallen. Also Toledo, by car if you have one; or by tour bus. <BR> <BR>Dining -- informal, economical, & great food: Casa Mingo (cider & roast chicken & green olives). Don't miss the special Spanish breakfast -- don't remember the name but it's like a prezel or fried dough served with chocolate sauce & fresh orange juice. Also their version of a potato omelet.

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 08:18 AM
Paulo

Just back from almost a full week in Madrid with no kids this time around ... Our experience was limited but quite enough to throw a couple of cents in <BR> <BR>If you're firm in spending a day visiting Toledo though (which BTW I recommend), it would help to know more about your plans in order to suggest ways to make the most of your short stay. Which days of week are we talking about? Are you flying in and out of Madrid? What are the schedulled arrival/departure times? Do you already have a hotel booked? <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR>

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 11:24 AM
Alysa

Paulo, <BR>Glad to give some details...Flying from London to Madrid. Arriving at 11:50 am Wednesday morning Sept.6. Staying at the Tryp Ambassador. We have all day Thursday and Friday, leaving at 6:50 am Saturday morning ( yes, it's early ) So, if we spend one day in Toledo, we're not talking about much time. Wed afternoon and one other day. I appreciate your input. Alysa

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 11:37 AM
xxx

We had four days in Madrid in April. Though we certainly didn't see everything, I don't think we missed anything major. We took a public bus to Toledo, which I would recommend, over the train or tour bus. The schedules were better than the train, and I had heard bad things about the tours. Plus, given your short time frame, you could spend a long morning in Toledo and still be able to catch a thing or two upon your return that day in Madrid. There are some great things to see in Toledo, but it it probably the most touristy place I have ever been - tour buses, tour buses and more tour buses. Try to get there early, so you can finish seeing the sights before the siesta.