Airfare U.S. to London

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 09:20 PM
Kevin

Airfare U.S. to London

I'm planning a two-week trip to the U.K. beginning in the first week of August, and have just begun to search airline ticket prices. Prices to travel within the next two or three months are in the $650 range, but just at the time I intend to travel, they double. Will they likely come down for that time period in the next 60 days or so?

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 09:56 PM
sandy c(new bern)

hi kevin,

I went to london and paris last october. we tried to search for discount tickets starting in april or may and could not find them that far in advance for september or october. it seems that they only show discounted tickets about 90 days in advance.

in july we got concerned and went ahead and purchased tickets for about $550 round trip raleigh nc to london non stop thru american airlines.

a month or so later we saw some specials for that time running around $350.

if you are going in august i would wait until around mid may and start looking again. the cost of that ticket also depends if you are flying direct from one of the larger cities or having to connect. are you?

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 04:11 AM
Rex

Very unlikely to come down for august; if they do you will need constant vigilance to catch the "blink-and you-miss-em" sales.

It would help to know where you want to originate - - maybe have some ideas on a strategy?

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 08:41 AM
ttt

to the top

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 09:43 AM
Ann

Wait. The fares are unlikely to go any higher. I'm also traveling in August, and the fares are very high right now. They usually do come down. I usually find the best fares about 45 days from my departure date, unless a great sale comes up.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 10:03 AM
elvira

This is going to be an interesting vacation season. Threats of jacked-up fuel prices make it uncertain what will happen with airfares (on the one hand, airlines have to pay more for fuel; on the other hand, so does every American who drives a car, which could put a crimp on vacation spending; therefore, fewer tickets sold, and the airlines have to stimulate purchases by lowering prices).

You are going to really have to work at this, Kevin. Check every airline website; check consolidators; check all the internet sites like Priceline or Hotwire or any of the other hundred sites with auctioned/cheap tickets; check into different departure/arrival airports (example: if you are looking JFK>LHR or LGW, try JFK>Manchester or EWR>LHR), especially on the airlines' websites (look for "announcing new route!" that's where the bargains often show up). When looking for consolidators, don't be put off by airlines that you don't usually fly (like Lufthansa to London - the flight probably is going thru to Frankfurt, so the US>London leg might have a few seats, so they're sold to consolidators).

Check all your ff miles, and see if "partners" will honor your miles (25000ff miles on A, 25000 on B, will B accept A's miles to give you a free ticket?), or if you can buy additional miles to make up the 50000 (or whatever amount) needed for a r/t ticket to Europe.

Or, learn to row.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 07:32 PM
Kec

We purchased tickets in March for a October flight to London. We went through United airlines and paid 367.00 per person. Plus, this is a morning flight out of Wash. D.C., so we arrive at Heathrow that night around 9:30. I love being able to fly during the day instead of at night and arriving in London very tired the next morning. I believe they are still having a sale.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 07:37 PM
Kec

Forgot to mention that our flight from Wash. D.C. to London is non-stop. Last time we went we had to stop over in Toronto and had a hard time connecting at this airport because it is so spread out. You have to collect your luggage, get on a bus, go to another terminal, check luggage back in and than board the plane. It was a headache.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 01:54 AM
ttt

topping