Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Airfare to Paris in June -- so expensive! Will it go down?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

We're a family of 6 spending a week in the Dordogne June 27-July 4. The best airfare I can find is around $1400-1500. If we make a stop (not ideal with three small children ages 6, 5 and 2) it goes down to 1300.

I can't imagine that all theses planes are full given the economy? Will the prices go down? Do you anticipate a summer sale anytime soon? I tried to use miles for 2 tickets but because of blackout dates/July 4th, each ticket is 105K miles!

Thoughts? If we have to buy 6 tickets at 1500 each we will be staying in a one wheat rated gite with a dirt floor!

Thanks, Lulu
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 06:34 AM

I don't think it has EVER been CHEAP for a family of SIX to fly to Europe, do YOU????

Fares going down? When???? Let us know when you find out for sure.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 06:54 AM

You've got two strikes against you. You're traveling during the very busy summer season, and during one of the busiest holiday weeks of all ( July 4th). Very doubtful that the airlines would put that particular week on sale unless things get far worse.

If you could possibly travel end of May/early June, or end of August/early September, you might luck out with slightly better fares. However, I realize that's probably not likely since you're traveling with kids.

Old Feb 10th, 2009, 06:58 AM

Lulu--from where are you flying?
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

We're flying from DC -- the ultimate destination is Dordogne so if it's that expensive we may try to fly to UK then change to Ryan Air right into Bordeaux or Toulouse to save TGV?

I am not anticipating "cheap" but was hoping even for a $900 or $1000 ticket round trip.

Checked the airlines and there are PLENTY of seats...
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 07:29 AM

At least for the routes I take, this is how it works. The fare remains high irrespective of the plane load.

If they fill up the plane, they keep the flight.

If they don't fill up the plane, they cancel the flight and either make me travel another day or route me through somewhere else using a code share partner.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 08:11 AM

We went to Ireland once in August with our kids and I checked airfare every day. Since we travel from the west coast I bought NY to Shannon, then Seattle to NY separately. Checking every day I was able to jump on a great deal when it popped up. If that's the date you have to travel I'd hold a bit as it's unlikely to go up, and may go down. But waiting on airfare is always a gamble and only you can decide.

But usually we travel out of season - winter break, spring break, a week out of school - with our family due to cost. If that's a possibility for you it would really save money.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 08:41 AM

I thought US air was running a good sale that extended into the summer. if the additional DCA flight to PHL is too pricey, it might be worth driving to PHL.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 09:43 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
&quot;<i>We may try to fly to UK then change to Ryan Air right into Bordeaux or Toulouse to save TGV?</i>&quot;

Yes, your best option may be to fly into London or possibly some other major hub and then a budget airline or trains from there.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 09:56 AM

YOu can get nonstop flights on Air France for $1387, but you have to leave and return on the cheaper days of the week. The problem is you've picked very expensive days to fly (Saturdays, I believe). IF you go and return Mon through Thursday you can save $80 each ticket. That still isn't that much, I know, and that does seem higher than I would have expected this year by a bit. I bet they'll come down a little, like maybe to $1000-1200.

NOnstop flights are often more expensive for the convenience, they are never the cheapest way to go, especially from IAD. I fly from there a lot, and they don't usually have the same air fare sales to Paris as a lot of other cities, even when they have them.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 10:02 AM

There is still plenty of time. Prices will likely come down at some point between now and then. The key is catching them when they do. You will need to check periodically. You could check out something like Yapta.com to help, but I find nothing replaces checking regularly.

The load factors for the airlines are simply awful right now. I think the airlines are holding out hope that things turn around but, at some point, they will face the reality that the plane is not filling up and lower prices. But they aren't going to throw in the towel 4+ months out.

I think your $900-$1000 range is reasonable and I wouldn't settle for anything more than that until much closer to the date - maybe 30-45 days out.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 10:07 AM

I go to the Dordogne in summer every year. The past few years the best fare I've gotten is about $1300, and that was going through Heathrow and taking the Eurostar to Paris, then the TGV to Bordeaux, then the pokey train to P&eacute;rigueux, then driving an hour. At the end of the day it saved me a few, a very few, bucks. And we never travel on the weekend because it's always more expensive.

That is simply what it costs these days to get there. There will not be summer sales at the time you've chosen to go.

Old Feb 10th, 2009, 10:09 AM

Would you consider flying or driving to Toronto, Canada? Look up the prices for either Canadian Affair airlines or Air Transat to one of your possible destinations. Because the C$ is at roughly 81 cents US, the price should be quite a bit cheaper.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 10:19 AM

Is it really worth all that money for one week? Think of the fantastic holiday you could have in the States for that money!
Airlines are more likely to consolidate flights than drop the prices dramatically I'm afraid.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 10:27 AM

There is an airfare on 1800flyeurope of $953.86-total $1060.26 on a major European airlines. If this were me, I would leave the children at home with Grandma. This is a long flight for the ages you have. My kids probably would not have appreciated France at such young ages. And I can't imagine my younger son at age 6 sitting in a seat for more than an hour. But everyone knows their own limits, so your kids might do just fine.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Hi all,

Thanks for all the good advice. It's my 40th birthday and 10 year anniversary and I really would like to be with the whole family in the Dordogne. We don't really have willing or skilled enough Grandparents to leave the three kids with during the trip. We've gone away alone before and the amount of money spent on overnight sitters, extra nannies is also very costly.

Our kids travel quite regularly to LA from DC and also from DC-Denver-Snowmass and are pretty good travelers as long as the DVD is charged and there are plenty of books, crayons, etc.

We can drive to Philly and BWI and even NYC if necessary. Right now we are looking at leaving Thursday night, arrive Friday in Paris spend the day and night, then take TGV to Dordogne next day. Trying to return following Sunday.

I will hold out on flights and see what happens in the next two months. How I wish the baby wasn't 2 yet -- she turns 2 June 9. We've always found an empty seat when she's been a &quot;lap baby.&quot;

St.Cirq, you don't think they will reduce prices at all given the catastrophic economic conditions? Same thing with villas for rent, surely even Europeans are cutting back this year on expenses? We've been saving for a couple of years for this and I'm way too excited and invested in Dordogne to consider a different trip!

BTW I just got a quote from AutoEurope for 900 US dollars for a VW rental van for a week pick up and drop off in Limoges. This feels pricey to me -- any thoughts?

Thanks all! Lulu
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 05:32 PM

I think that the airlines are more likely to reduce capacity then give those overseas flights away.

And we have seen some of that already. I have read several news stories lately of international flights being cut back.

I think you will see a sale, but it may not be where you want it to be. Not to mention you need SIX tickets.

One other thought, try booking in groups of two? That &quot;Six&quot; may be an issue.

As far as your rental car, I think that's not bad for a van type car. I am paying about $400 for a small car.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 05:34 PM

You missed a huge USAirways sale about a month ago. I got tix for me and my Dad at a little over 600 each (May/June) and then again for me and my Mom for under a grand each (July). All to Paris.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Flygirl thanks for letting me know. I just signed up for USAir and Priceline alerts...fingers crossed!
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 11:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Lulubelle; Aer Lingus has a sale for your dates to Paris fron New York, for $830. Going thru Dublin is very easy, while London can be very difficult. www.aerlingus.com/ ENJOY Iris

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -