Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Airfare to Munich in June (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/airfare-to-munich-in-june-279270/)

lou Dec 12th, 2002 04:39 PM

Airfare to Munich in June

I am planning a visit to Germany in the 1st week of June. Searching for air fares at this time. Best I can do is app.$780. Flight is out of New York (JFK). I have read posts that best prices come out about 3 months prior to travel. What are your thoughts about what I can expect to pay. I would prefer non-stop from Lufthansa if possible. Any ideas?

Mike Dec 12th, 2002 04:52 PM

Lou, We booked our trip to Munich on Skyauction.com last December for a June 15 departure. Paid $560.00 per person including tax, etc, flying from Newark to Munich thru Frankfurt on Lufthansa. Went to pick up our new BMW. You going to pick up yours?

xxx Dec 13th, 2002 03:17 AM

Check out consolidatorwebfares.com<BR>

bill Dec 13th, 2002 06:40 AM

SINGAPORE AIR!!!<BR><BR>The best airline out there. May not fly to Munich, you may need to fly to Frankfurt and take the train.<BR><BR>Might work well for you if you plan to spend some time along the Rhine.<BR><BR>Singapore Air is the absolute best airline in the world and the fares have always been $250 or so less than all of the other airlines.<BR><BR>Good Luck

lou Dec 13th, 2002 07:01 AM

Mike: You are a mind reader. Yes, going to Munich to pick up 330CIC in June. There in lies my reason for trying to get the best on deal on airfares. I will try skyauction. Haven't come across them on this board yet. Are they a consolidator? Is this your first experience with them? Sounds like a great price.

Steve Dec 13th, 2002 07:28 AM

Bill is correct. Take a look at Singapore air, NYC to FRA. Off season is usually around $380-$400 (not including junk fees)and you will probably fly on a 747 with the best airline in the world. Someone said that SA flights from US to Europe are just to shuffle planes around and are not their bread and butter, so they don't charge a fortune for the flights. All I know is we flew it once NY to FRA and it was sweet. (Then make BMW rent you a car and drive to Munich on the autobahn!!)

Steve Dec 13th, 2002 07:36 AM

Got curious and went to Singapore site.<BR>NYC to FRA, June 2-8. $603 TOTAL.

mark Dec 13th, 2002 08:01 AM

Hey Lou,<BR><BR>Noticed that you are back on Fodor's looking for some info on airlines.<BR><BR>We flew earlier this year on Singapore. I've flown them 4 or 5 times now. Won't fly with any one else if SA works out for me.<BR><BR>It seems that the websites for discounts fares will work perfectly for you. Although, I do like the idea to fly into FRA and have BMW rent you a car to drive to Munich.<BR><BR>There are alot of great places to visit between FRA and Munich.<BR><BR>Have a great time. Hope you end up in Berchtesgaden. Will you be staying at Hotel Bavaria?<BR><BR>Let us know what you come up with for airfares in June. I am thinking about heading back over a week or so. Been looking at hiking trips in the Swiss or Austrian Alps.<BR><BR>Have a great trip!<BR><BR>Mark

lou Dec 13th, 2002 08:15 AM

Mark, never left Fodors. Been doing a lot of lurking and visiting sites recommended by other Fodorites. Do you guys know something I don't concerning BMW allowing me use of car for travel from Frankfurt to Munich. Its a thought, I will pursue but I am not optomistic. Itinerary is as follows (2 nights in each) Munich(Uhland), Berchtesgaden (either Bavaria,Watzmann), Schwangau (Rubezahl), Rothenburg (Burg Hotel). What do you think. I just checked BYC-FRA app$623 on SA.

Steve Dec 13th, 2002 09:48 AM

All I can tell you is that if the price feels good to you, you WILL be flying the best airline in the world.<BR>By the way, we stayed at the Berg Hotel in Rothenburg last year. What a beautiful little hotel! See if you can get one of the &quot;Tower&quot; rooms. Very nice and great views. The breakfast there is outstanding as well.

mark Dec 13th, 2002 10:02 AM

Lou, <BR><BR>Don't know if you BMW will hook you up.<BR><BR>If it is possible, then go for it. For me, it'd be nice opening up someone else's BMW on the Autobahn. I imagine you won't be doing 225 kph (or more) in your brand new BMW.<BR><BR>Have you driven the autobahn in the past? Nothing more amazing than cruising along at 225 kph and needing to get out of the fast lane because another car is blowing by you at 300 kph!!<BR><BR>Take care

j Dec 13th, 2002 12:15 PM

Lou, Mike: Just out of curiosity, if you buy your BMW in Germany and shipped it out to the US, do you need to pay cash? Or you do the same thing here in the US with a down payment and a monthly car payment for 36-48 months. Thanks.

lou Dec 13th, 2002 05:03 PM

J; you can finance car purchased in Europe similar to US purchase. You probably need to obtain VIN # from vehicle being built probably before US finance company will sign off on loan. If interested there are various BMW sites to review. My favorite is bimmerfest.com Check out their forums. <BR><BR>Mike never been to Germany. Would definitely enjoy a loaner BMW on the autobahn before I pick up mine.

Mike Dec 14th, 2002 05:17 AM

I picked up my 5 series last June. The factory recommends keeping the car under 4000 rpm for the first 1500 miles, so I was limited to 95-100 MPH on the autobahn.<BR><BR>We went to Munich the year before and rented from SIXT a 3 series diesel station wagon that was pretty peppy for a diesel. It was reasonable, and diesel fuel is less expensive in Europe.<BR><BR>J, you purchase your new BMW from a U.S. dealer 30 days prior to pickup in Munich. You have to order it 4-5 months before you take European Delivery. BMW had financing at the time for 5.5% and first payment wasn't due for 60 days.