Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Airfare to Italy in May - What's a good price?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that there have been a lot of questions about this lately, but I'm going to go ahead and ask another.

We are leaving from Denver and are planning on flying into Venice and out of Milan. Right now I am finding airfare from $1000-$1200 and that's with two stops.

I know it's impossible to predict whether airfare will go down, but what do you seasoned travelers think is a good fare? Thanks!
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 08:19 AM

That's seems to be the current price range. If you are familiar with the other posts on the subject then you probably already read to wait till at least the end of Feb, when shoulder season fares (traditionally) go down. So, I'll say-- wait. A couple of things to remember, though: 1) how flexible are you? flexible dates give you better chances for a better fare, 2) flexible airports is another alternative; flying out of Denver to London and catching an inter-Europe air fare, 3) open jaws are more expensive; consider savings if you train to Venice from Milan (RT Denver-Milan).

As far as reasonable fare a $750/pp from Denver to Milan in May is a good fare; with current fuel/less flights situation, not sure if this is realistic anymore.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 08:23 AM

If you are going to northern Italy, don't forget to check pices in or out of Zurich.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! Now I know what I'm looking (hoping) for.

I was wondering about Zurich. How far is Zurich from Venice or Lake Como? Is there a train, or would I need a car?

Thanks again for the responses!
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 06:13 PM

www.bahn.de has the best train schedule search engine.

Zurich - Como. 3:43 on slower EuroCity and as fast as 3:01 on Cisalpino. Many direct trains a day, as Como is on the main Zurich-Milan route.

Zurich - Venice is 8 hours on a direct EC train; or as little as 7 hours on a CIS to Milan, and switch to an Intercity. The route is the same, via Milan.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 08:33 PM

Our honeymoon fell right at the end of shoulder season last year- our wedding day was actually the day most deals ended!

We were going to Florence, and found it cheapest to fly to Paris and then take an EasyJet flight to Italy (in our case, Pisa). A bonus for us was that we spent two nights in Paris on the way home!

London could be a good option too, or really any European city that has a low-fare carrier. Check out www.whichbudget.com for some options.

Enjoy
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. Anyone else?
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 05:11 PM

I just found a fare for $823 (all in) for KC to Rome RT (one stop each way) on May 27 with return on June 13 via American Airlines. Take a look at their web site
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 06:05 PM

I see better solutions already on www.kayak.com - click on Multicity then input various city pairs and play around with combinations and, if you're at all flexible, with dates (mid-week vs. weekend etc).

On my first attempt with den-venice, italy (to bring up all airports), and checking "surrounding airports", plus return from Milan (again, to capture all airports) to den, I get flights under $1000.-. Not great ones, but it shows promise - keep looking like this just about every day, and jump in when it looks real good.

There's one for $976.- (inc. fees etc), BA all the way (the only non-stop from Denver!) with one transfer that has one wrinkle: It flies into Heathrow and out of Gatwick - you have from 12:10 til 5:20 to make the switch - enough time, and since you're only going for two weeks you shouldn't have much luggage.

It flies into Verona, so you'll have about two hours on the ground (shuttle and train) before you get to Venice.

Going home it's out of Milano-Linate via Heathrow with enough cushion between flights. That's also the non-stop into Denver - beautiful, you do immigration and customs in Denver!

For a dollar more the same flight is offered, but leaving from Milan-Malpensa on the way home.

BTW - tha above are for my randomly picked dates of 5/10 and 5/24.

Air France has a strange one: Denver - Cincinnati - Paris CDG - Verona, and home Milano-Linate - CDG - Cincinnati - Colorado Springs (not Denver), for $987.-

Too weird for me...

Good luck

WK
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks WK! You really took some time with this. So is $976 a good price, or should I keep looking, hoping for something in the $700-$800 range?
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 05:28 PM

It's a good price as of today, but it's got those strings attached that cost you extra dollars (shuttles, transfers, trains), so I'd wait. I listed them to show that Italy can be cheaper, but you don't want to go to Verona. Keep looking daily or often, specials creep up that need to be grabbed when you see them.

WK
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 07:19 PM

No, I wouldn't book that BA flight. You'll get similar fares on other airlines in the next month or two. Definitely avoid the LHR-LGW transfer. You're wasting 3-4 hours, and won't get into Venice until the evening. I would look for something better.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 08:03 PM
MaureenB

Not going in May, but returning in May-- I bought RT through STA travel for $851 (a 'student' fare): On Lufthansa, Denver to Frankfurt nonstop; Frankfurt to Florence nonstop, in January. Then returning on United airlines from London to Denver nonstop in May. You can call them on 800-777-0112.