Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Airfare to Europe Paris on Thanksgiving early December Very High! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/airfare-to-europe-paris-on-thanksgiving-early-december-very-high-809023/)

yeadonite Oct 5th, 2009 11:13 AM

Airfare to Europe Paris on Thanksgiving early December Very High!

I was thinking of going to Paris on Thanksgiving or right after but the fares are really high. Any thoughts? Leaving from NYC

surfmom Oct 5th, 2009 11:15 AM

Are you flexible with regards to dates ?

I just checked US Airways and found this:

$663 (+ taxes)
JFK - CDG dep. Sat, 11/21, return Fri, 11/27 or Sat, 11/28

janisj Oct 5th, 2009 11:21 AM

"<i> . . the fares are really high.</i>"

What sorts of fares are you finding?

Suzanne2 Oct 5th, 2009 11:25 AM

I'm going in a few days. I must say I paid $200.00 more for this flight than I did for similar flight in March. It seems like there are fewer flights which is keeping prices up.

Christina Oct 5th, 2009 11:30 AM

that's what I was wondering, maybe you just think a good fare is really high, as that isn't an expensive time of year to go to Europe by air. You should be able to get a fare $600-700, and that might include Air France nonstop. Those are not real high fares to Europe, that would be around $1200-1500. They might be cheaper in late January or Februrary (I mean to go then).

Michel_Paris Oct 5th, 2009 11:32 AM

Perhaps a flight to London then TGV, Open Jaw?

Suzanne2 Oct 5th, 2009 11:40 AM

We are going to London first and flying home from Paris. I booked with Air Canada and the best fare I could find was $820.00. We are on the west coast, however. I have been spoiled getting non stop flights with AF for around $600 for the past few years.

yeadonite Oct 5th, 2009 11:42 AM

All in it was about 739 which I thought was high. Thanks for the reality check.

Michel_Paris Oct 5th, 2009 11:43 AM

KLM to Amsterdam then TGV?

Mara Oct 5th, 2009 12:27 PM

I also think the fares from JFK to CDG are high now. I am looking at the week after Thanksgiving as well and American Airlines has a price of $719 - the only cheaper fares have stops. Icelandic is a bit cheaper but I really want to take advantage of the double miles special AA has for flying from the NY area....

The last time I went to Paris was about the same time of year in 2006 and I paid under $500 on AA.

Also according to the seating chart, both flights I am looking at are basically empty. And the price has gone up from around $650 a couple of weeks ago....

So if you folks think this is good I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and buy it... ):

Suzanne2 Oct 5th, 2009 12:38 PM

What gets me is the fees and taxes are nearly the same as the fare.

Dukey Oct 5th, 2009 12:43 PM

I can more or less understand your "pain" but can you hopnestly tell me any other form of transportation to ANYWHERE which is as cheap as it was <B>in 2006</B>??????

yeadonite Oct 5th, 2009 01:00 PM

Mara - I wish I had book a couple of weeks ago!!!

Mara Oct 5th, 2009 01:08 PM

I guess you're right, Dukey....but this is over 40% more.

yeadonite - I know exactly what you mean - I just couldn't believe that the fare went up....and I still don't feel ready to buy yet - btw, if you are looking at American the price and schedule - enhanced choice shows which days around the one you want may be cheaper - that's how I found out leaving on a Sunday would save me $20 - hey, every little bit helps!

yeadonite Oct 6th, 2009 07:58 AM

I figured leaving on Thanksgiving day would mean a cheaper and empty plane. I guess I dream!

Mara Oct 6th, 2009 04:53 PM

yeadonite, I see on your other thread that you're looking for an apartment - did you buy your ticket?

yeadonite Oct 6th, 2009 05:21 PM

no I am trying to do both at once. What about you?

MademoiselleFifi Oct 6th, 2009 05:23 PM

When I checked much earlier this year, November fares were high. In fact, they were much higher than many late-May/early-June fares this year. I paid $365 to Rome in May, but whenever I searched for November to Paris this year, it was close to $800, so I booked with miles instead.

MademoiselleFifi Oct 6th, 2009 05:37 PM

Last November was around $800 too. Before that, I thought $500 was high.

Mara Oct 6th, 2009 06:13 PM

I'll probably book in a day or two - I'm afraid it will keep going up.....then I'll book my apartment - I already have one in mind and others as a back-up...maybe we can have a mini gtg in Paris. :)

Thanks for the info, Mlle. Fifi - that was a great price for Rome assuming you came from the US ;-)