Airfare from SF or Sacramento to Dub

Old Mar 6th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Airfare from SF or Sacramento to Dub

Hello everyone,
I've been googling airfares for my trip to IRL in mid May. I've checked expedia, kayak and airgorilla. There's a large disparity in the quoted fares. Do you know of any other websites I could check? Thank you.
g
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 04:23 PM

Actually I usually get my best fares directly from the airline websites. reh=gister w/ all of them and get their e-mail alerts.

Are you in Sacramento? SFO is usually (but not always) quite a bit cheaper than SMF. But by the time you factor in transport to SFO and either staying overnight to get a "sleep and park" package, or paying for parking - you are often paying about the same. And avoiding the huge hassle of I-80/101 to SFO is worth a LOT to me.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 04:24 PM

that should be "register" . . . . .
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 04:27 PM
CU

Was checking out a journey for a friend who is going Shannon to SF and found Delta via New York cheapest. The next was British Airways SF to London - London to Shannon.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 04:30 PM

I have to agree with janisj. I booked our flights from SFO to Paris last month. I kept checking the sites you named but then called directly to the airline. We eventually settled with VA for 1134.00. Not bad except that about a week later, Travelocity had a sale where there were flights from SFO to London for 253.00 round trip including summer months. Too late for me but alot of others were able to get some great fares that weekend. My advice would be to get your tix soon;it's just around the corner.Good Luck!
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you janisj and CU. I'm based near Sac (Go Kings!) and usually fly out of there for the very reasons you describe in your reply.
Did I mention I'm real cheap? I hate paying top dollar to find out the guy sitting next to me paid $150-200 less. ARGH!!!
I don't even care what airline. I have zero loyalty to any, nor do I care if I have to sit for hours in Newark or Chicago or Atlanta as I've done that before too.
Should I book now or wait until May approaches?
Thank you Fodorites for all your wisdom. I'm open to any suggestions.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 04:44 PM

oh, I forgot to mention that if you can get a good flight out of Sac, I would do it because as janisj said, with the drive, parking etc. the cost is pretty much a wash. We are from Sac but wanted to fly either BA or Va so we had no choice but to fly out of SFO. The hotels don't offer park/fly for an entire month and I haven't been able to find a reasonable airport shuttle from Sac to SFO; just I have to enlist a friend.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Namaka for both replies.
It's back to the drawing board for me.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 04:50 PM

namaka and gshandle: One thing I have done a few times -- fly VS (Virgin) out of either LAX or Las Vegas. Because Southwest serves both from SMF it is easier to fly to one of them instead fo driving all the way to SFO. Just another option - especially since VS often has good fares.

Now I have to go help the Kings win - we're down 1 half way through the 1st quarter.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 05:55 PM
mjs

May I suggest you just rent a car 1 way from Sacramento to SFO than do the same on your return in reverse. You do not have to worry about your car at SFO this way and the cost of parking at SFO is rather high if you are traveling for more than a week. This works especially well if there is more than one of you traveling and often you can fly directly to Europe from SFO instead of connecting somewhere in the US.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 07:55 PM

You can try this site:

http://www.itasoftware.com/

Since you are traveling mid-May, it might be cheaper to go to London, arriving there in the morning, and taking an Ryanair afternoon flight to Ireland. I noticed that they had their one penny fares that ended June 30, but I did not look for such fares to Ireland.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 07:57 PM

You might want to check out the Aer Lingus website (They usually aren't included in the search sites). I have gotten some good deals out of Boston and my friends have gotten some good deals out of LAX.

In April, I can get to Shannon for $400 out of Boston, not sure about the west coast.

Have a great trip!