airfare from paris to detroit

Feb 26th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

airfare from paris to detroit

OK, I'm really getting desperate to stay in Paris 4 days longer.

I have been searching for airfare and I could use some advice on how. I would fly from CDG to DTW. I won't use the return ticket. The cheapest so far is 900.00. Any suggestions? I can't extend my orig. ticket (it's too late and a group rate) one way from Paris is out of the question way to expensive. If I buy a RT from DTW and not use the part to CDG they will cancel the return to DTW. Does that make sense?
Feb 26th, 2008, 08:26 AM

Hi M,

I'm right in between Detroit & Toronto and I found the DTW-CDG ALWAYS more expensive than YYZ-CDG. Any chance you could fly to Toronto?
Feb 26th, 2008, 08:29 AM
esm

Mamaw, you can't buy a round-trip originating in DTW and not use the first leg. Your ticket will be canceled by the airline.
Feb 26th, 2008, 08:30 AM
esm

Sorry, posted too quick. Are you sure you can't pay extra and extend the original ticket?
Feb 26th, 2008, 08:34 AM

My first thought is in line with ESM. Have you contacted the airline (I'm guessing Northwest) and asked them about the possibility of changing the return date? I'd be surprised if they didn't offer an option with a hefty change fee.
Feb 26th, 2008, 08:40 AM
ira

Hi M,

>If I buy a RT from DTW and not use the part to CDG they will cancel the return to DTW.

YES,

You want an RT from CDG to DTW.

When are you returning?

Feb 26th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

I know I can't do the DTW-CDG they will cancel the tix if I don't use the first half. NWA won't let me extend the departure date I have called more than once to try. So my other choice would be CDG-DTW. Use the first 1/2 and not the return. However finding a good price is the problem. If I buy the CDG-DTW and stay another 3-4 nights it could end up costing 2000.00. I don't want to spend that, but I don't know when I'll ever get back to Paris. Oh, the trouble of it all..
I have been up all night several nights looking for a deal.
Feb 26th, 2008, 08:54 AM

$900 for 4 more days

begs the question Why? Paris in February that divine?

you could go home and then buy the same ticket and return to Paris a few weeks later with all the time you want?
Feb 26th, 2008, 08:57 AM
ira

Hi M,

Good advice from PQ.
Feb 26th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

lucy (ugotsomesplainintodo) sorry couldn't resist.

I have looked into Toronto or Windsor. From CDG to Toronto I'd have a stop in Montreal. And a train ride to Toronto is 5 hours. I'm just so frustrated now. I'd do anything to be in Paris for Easter (my family is not too happy about that, too bad)I did get a good price on a hotel using some points. But oh what's a girl to do?
Feb 26th, 2008, 09:10 AM
esm

What is the current price of a round-trip DTW/CDG for your preferred dates? If it is "reasonable", is it possible to cancel the first ticket (with penalty which is usually $200 for transatlantic flights) and buy a ticket for the dates you want? I'm assuming you'll be able to use the original for a trip within the next year.
Feb 26th, 2008, 09:21 AM

How much are you willing to pay? YOu can get a RT on Northwest for around $560, which is better than $900, if you don't check baggage.

You have to say it is a RT CDG-JFK to get that fare of $560 (which includes taxes). If you say RT CDG-DTW, it is around $800. However, the plane flies to DTW first before JFK, and then there is a plane change. So you'd get out then.

At least, I found those RT fares on NW with a departure around 3/25 or 3/26 and I put in a return a week later.

From Paris, the same ticket costs about 424 euro, which is a little cheaper, only around US$535. YOu could probably get that at a Parisian travel agent or maybe at an Air France office, as they have merged. I found the fare from Paris on www.opodo.fr, but it works out the same on Northwest's own website.

There is an AF office near the Garnier Opera and at place Rostand near Luxembourg gardens, and at 96 rue Rennes in St Germain.

Feb 26th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

As always leave to you all to help out with ANYTHING...

I am going on a europe tour with high schoolers. We start in London and end in Paris. Because the ticket was purchased with a group rate NWA won't budge on extending or otherwise. So that's kinda the kicker. I'm going to check out Christine's suggestion.
Feb 26th, 2008, 09:38 AM

At Kayak.com I got $767 for one way on 3/25 at 10:21 am on mutiple airlines (2 stops).

My second suggestion is what if you did not use your ticket? Could you get a credit from the airline for future travel? You may do better rebooking a new ticket for the dates you want. US Air is $682 on Expedia.com for example. Air France is having a sale for March also.
Feb 26th, 2008, 09:41 AM

buy trip insurance then get ill?
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:36 PM

Or reschedule the trip

I just got a ticket from Phoenix to Paris for $650 at the end of may returning june. I booked with kayak.com flying Northwest through Detroit.