Airfare from NYC to Italy,May 2007

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! When and where should I start looking for airfares from NYC to Rome,Italy for a wedding trip in May 2007.

Thanks,
Sudhin
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 10:47 AM

I would start looking now, and check every now and then to see if they fluctuate. I generally book about 4-6 months in advance, but start looking at prices before that. Kayak.com is a good tool in comparing prices on the internet.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 10:53 AM

airlines are not showing prices yet for next May. They'll start showing up in July. I think it's 320 days before that they begin posting prices.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 11:04 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
330 days is the general rule for airlines to send their timetables to the GDSs, but some (most notably for the OP, Alitalia) don't do it that early.

I wouldn't think about it until sometime like September/October. The airlines don't know what their load factors or fuel costs are going to be 11 months out, so in the light of uncertainty they'll set prices high as of now, in order to play it safe.

It's also important to keep your eyes open to flights to other cities in Europe where you can connect easily to Rome. From NYC, London is the obvious entry point, then Dublin and Frankfurt, then Milan and Rome - there are easy connections from any of those places, and especially in the case of London, many many more flights/seats across the Atlantic, hence more competition, hence cheaper fares. From London or Dublin you can easily ride on low-cost airline to Italy, resulting in a cheaper fare all-in.

Also sign up for a fare-watching service on the likes of Yahoo or Travelocity, so that when a deal comes along you hear about it.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 11:17 AM
ira

Hi S,

It's not to soon to start looking.

See www.mobissimo.com for RT tickets.

www.kayak.com is good for RT and open jaw.

Old Jun 20th, 2006, 12:10 PM

I would check prices now, and watch for a while. I usually have the best luck in November or January or February, for May and September, but you just never know.

And, it's worth the effort to shop every available resource on a regular basis. One time this; next time that. One year I saved $150 with Cheaptickets, but that was the only time I ever had any luck there.

This year I had fantastic luck (as I have off and on over the years) with 1800flyeurope. Highly recommend you phone them and ask when they might have tickets available for flights to Rome for your dates. I flew BOS-CDG in May for $165 less than I could find anywhere else, and we're going in September for $552 (a savings of about $300). Direct flights. Convenient times. Some months after I purchased our tickets, and recommended them to others, they were sold out.

I'd just as soon shop like the dickens as deal with connections...
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 12:38 PM

I just checked fares (on Continental) for early next May...prices there were in the $700 range (from the East Coast) so depending on when in May it isn;t too early to look.

I agree with trying www.itasoftware.com www.onetravel.com as well as kayak and mobissimo.

If nothing else you'll get some idea of prices as they stand now.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Hi! Thank you for all the info!So what do you think is a good price?

Thanks,
Sudhin