Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Airfare from Naxos to Athens (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/airfare-from-naxos-to-athens-581866/)

dona Jan 15th, 2006 12:04 PM

Airfare from Naxos to Athens

Could someone pls give me an idea of a good airfare for a one way tix from Naxos to Athens in September. thanks!

brotherleelove2004 Jan 15th, 2006 01:19 PM

In U.S. Dollars, $68.60.

http://www.olympicairlines.com/

Olympic is the only airlines that services Naxos.

dona Jan 15th, 2006 03:55 PM

Thank you -- What I was wondering is whether the $68.60 coming up now on the Olympic Air web site is a good fare or is that the pretty much a normal fare? Are there specials or sales on that route?

brotherleelove2004 Jan 15th, 2006 04:13 PM

That's something I can't answer. I never fly Olympic. Seeing as how I just plugged in a general September date and got that price I assumed it was a normal fare. It's not too bad, actually. You might be able to get a sale fare by checking back with them from time to time, or even call their NY office to ask about any upcoming sales. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Olympic NY: 800-223-1226

stanbr Jan 15th, 2006 09:27 PM

I just booked Athens to Naxos one way for May 2006 for 69 Euros all in. That is the same fare we paid last year. I am not sure if that is good or bad but is is consistant with your fare. Last year I tried to book this flight 5 months early but I waited a couple of weeks hoping for a better fare and ended up not able to book the flight at all. ( these are 30 to 40 seat aircraft) We ended up sitting for two hours in the airport and actualy watched the original flight we wanted, take of to Naxos. The price you quoted for Olympic seems about right. If you wait too long to book, you might just find yourself on the ferry, praying for good weather. Don't wait too long to book.

Heimdall Jan 16th, 2006 01:01 AM

Olympic still hasn't posted its summer schedule on their website yet. You can book now, but it is possible you will be notified of change in departure time at a later date. That happened to me last year when I booked a flight from Paros to Athens in January.

Heimdall Jan 16th, 2006 01:10 AM

To answer dona's question, I have never seen a special price or sale on flights to these islands. They can sell all the tickets available, so no need for extra incentives.

The planes flying to Paros are even smaller than the ones going to Naxos. Paros has a very short runway, and, due to weight restrictions, can take only about 18 passengers on the return flight to Athens.

dona Jan 16th, 2006 05:18 AM

Thanks to all of you--appreciate the phone number for Olympic in NYC.

dona Jan 16th, 2006 05:41 AM

Forgot to ask--anyone know approximately when Olympic Airlines summer schedules are published?

Heimdall Jan 16th, 2006 07:12 AM

I don't know for sure when the Olympic summer schedule will be put online, and it's hard to tell from the website when it does. Looking at last year's timetable, there was only one flight per day from Naxos, departing at 1335 daily in the summer. On 19 Sep the Mon and Sat flights were changed to depart at 1620, the other days remaining at 1335. If you can live with that, just go ahead and book now. As stanbr said, the flights fill up fast.

My problem with Paros last year was I booked a return to Athens on the morning flight, which was supposed to depart Paros around 1000. When the summer schedule came out, departure was changed to 0735. I was staying on neighbouring Antiparos, with the first ferry departing for Paros at 0700. It's only a 5 min trip across the channel, but that still left me just 30 min to get to the airport. I let Olympic know I would be checking in late, and had a taxi waiting for me, so made it on time. I wasn't even the last person to check in, but don't like cutting it that close. Of course I could have spent the last night on Paros, but that's not what I wanted to do.

Frankly, the reason I fly is that I like to go straight from the islands to Athens Airport. Conventional wisdom states you should always return to Athens a day or two before your flight home, but I never do. That's good advice for someone taking a transatlantic flight home, though. If you return to Athens a day or two early, as sensible people do, there is no real advantage in flying back from Naxos. The highspeed ferry takes only about 3.5 hrs to get to Pireaus, and when you arrive you are closer to central Athens.